Kruger National Park, South Africa

IDMKIV
F 5.6
ISO 1250
1/1250
500 F4 IS

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
what a moment! why didn't the hamerkop leave when they started playing "how's your father"?
well exposed, and I quite like the brown tones here - between the water, bird and hippos it's all working together well.

where in Kruger was this, Stephen?

Gregor Bergquist
07-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Hmm, this make me wonder, what is the bird doing there? I think the bird is the only really interesting here, I would like something to draw more attention to the bird. Maybe lighten the bird a bit. Do a other comp? Pity you can se so little of the Hippos faces and eyes. And therefore not so interesting in my view. The water is also so so.

TFS, Gregor

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Stephen,

This is very nice a pity that the Hippos were not turned a bit more towards you, but that's wildlife photography for you!

I also like the fact that you have retained the darkness of the hippos

Stephen Earle
07-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I have many, many frames of these animals in classic side on, front on, eyes-visible, three hippos gaping, three eyes visible poses etc. (I have yet to find a file with four eyes visible while posturing, but I'm looking) I have in many years of observing hippos, never seen a scene with a hammerhead submerged on the back of one of two posturing hippos. To me, portraying wildlife or birds in ways never seen before is the biggest challenge and that is something I look for above pure aesthetics. As such there is always the possibility that an image may only be understood and appreciated by those with intimate knowledge of the subjects and the rarity of the scene. I understand the problems here from a pretty picture point of view, but what would have been relevant about another gaping hippo shot that I'm sure everyone has seen millions of times before?

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 11:54 PM
To me, portraying wildlife or birds in ways never seen before is the biggest challenge and that is something I look for above pure aesthetics. As such there is always the possibility that an image may only be understood and appreciated by those with intimate knowledge of the subjects and the rarity of the scene. I understand the problems here from a pretty picture point of view, but what would have been relevant about another gaping hippo shot that I'm sure everyone has seen millions of times before?

Stephen,

I can agree with what you have said 200%, in particular the "intimate knowledge" part.

Something different is what I like to see, but I believe everybody judges on what they are familiar with or more to the point prefer to see.

Thanks for saying it.

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Stephen - I think you have accomplished your goal. Almost immediately I saw the hammerkop and wondered what had happened and why it stuck around.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Well having look at the image several times now, I'm with Gregor, I just cannot find something to latch onto, for me there is no real hook and engage me. The faces are away from camera, likewise the jaws and so I am left wanting to see more.

As presented I personally would crop a fraction/sliver off the foot and have a little more space above and give some more select sharpening to gain more detail & clarity within the shot. Certainly adding some selective blacks or Curves (not Contrast) and some brightness also helps to lift the whole image overall.

TFS
Steve

Hendri Venter
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Stephen from a rarity POV i think you nailed it. I understand where the others come from but I personally like this. One of those once in a lifetime shots.

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I have many, many frames of these animals in classic side on, front on, eyes-visible, three hippos gaping, three eyes visible poses etc. (I have yet to find a file with four eyes visible while posturing, but I'm looking) I have in many years of observing hippos, never seen a scene with a hammerhead submerged on the back of one of two posturing hippos. To me, portraying wildlife or birds in ways never seen before is the biggest challenge and that is something I look for above pure aesthetics. As such there is always the possibility that an image may only be understood and appreciated by those with intimate knowledge of the subjects and the rarity of the scene. I understand the problems here from a pretty picture point of view, but what would have been relevant about another gaping hippo shot that I'm sure everyone has seen millions of times before?

Well said, Stephen.
:cheers:
:5

PS: waiting for the 'other one' I have seen too :w3