PDA

View Full Version : Tug of Warr II

Hendri Venter
07-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Herewith the other version of the sub-adult cheetahs trying to get a piece of a scrab hare they hunted earlier. Photographed at Mashatu Private game reserve in Botswana,

Canon 5D3
Canon 600 F4 L IS
ISO 3200
F4.5
1/800 sec

Andreas Liedmann
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey Hendri,
like this twice times more than Tug War I.At least one eye is visible, would be greater to have both visible, but maybe was the shutter released a second too late or too fast.

Also the processing is a lot better as in the last post, you learned your lessons , a bit. Have you already been , with Morkel or did you follow Steve !!!!!!

But there is still something to squeeze out, i think !! Ask Steve he will give the direction to goo, for sure..:tinysmile_shy_t:

Cheers Andreas

Hendri Venter
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Thank you Andreas. No I have not been with Morkel yet. I'm glad its getting there but I'm sure one of them will rip me apart though.:bg3:

Andreas Liedmann
07-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Why should they rip you apart ? You know how to start a machine , do some PP work (more or less :t3 LOL ) ,upload images and at least the most important part, you are able to press the shutter of the camera at the right time, from time to time :w3!!

So , no reason for tearing !!

Cheers Andreas

Hendri Venter
07-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Haha.. no I'm not tearing at all Andreas. Just joking...:bg3:

Rudi van den Heever
07-25-2012, 12:57 PM
"been with Morkel..." Please guys, this is a family website!:Whoa!:

Hendri, I love this image and processing! Yes, the other eye... but they would not have listened even if you attempted to direct them...

Like the way they look into each other's eyes!:w3

Stephen Earle
07-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Very nice image Hendri. Hope you don't mind but here's another version. What do you think?

Hendri Venter
07-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks Stephen. Yip colors looks much better and the horizontal flip also a nice touch. I dont know why but I was afraid of too much sat and contrast. This just proofs me wrong.. Again...:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
07-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Hi Hendri, well firstly outstanding work from your previous posting, great to see how things develop, and as both Morkel and I said, you have it there 'in camera' you just needed a few prompts to extract it, which you have done and it's really refreshing to see.

Obviously the pose & position works better, and illustrates how much potential an image has, plus the techs if I am not mistaken are the same, so no question, they are the asme.

I think Stphen RP is where I was going, but perhaps still keeping it light. If you have worked along the lines suggested all I did was up the opacity, opened the kill a bit and added some sat to it. Kept the BKG as is, as it lifts the image nicely then applied some more USM only to the subjects.

Great work, great development and am eager to see what happens after you meet up with the young Morkel, you will get your wings I am sure. :cheers: :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Hendri Venter
07-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Clearly you guys know what you do when it gets to PP. I must admit this was a difficult one as it looked very dull out of the camera and I were too conservative to pull the necessary oomf from the raw. Lesson learned. Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Steve Kaluski
07-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Hendri, in 24hrs you have achieve a huge amount and you should congratulate yourself, the finer 'tweaks' if you like, are just a personal POV and all, if I may say, comes in time, all I hope is that 'WE as members (all that comment)' are able to guide you to improving your hard work and that for me is the goal.

Dumay de Boulle
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Love it on all accounts...Steve hit the nail on the head re color and contrast...I would love one like this!

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Late to this one, Hendri. This is - as a default image - much better than the previous one, both in terms of comp and your OP.
I quite like Stephen's flipped version (where's Tom when you need him haha :w3)! I tried my own version but it came out pretty much identical to Mr Kaluski's repost with Mr Earle's orientation.

PS: The 5Dmk3 looking good at ISO3200! :c3:

PPS: Sorry I didn't reply to your email today - will do tomorrow!

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Hendri,

Did you post in this order deliberately?

Comparing the two is like "chalk and cheese", and the reason in my opinion is solely down to the heads being parallel to the sensor.

The missing eye does not bother me, nor the fact that you have not "pushed" the colours in your OP, but I must admit Stephen's re-post looks nice as well.

Personally I think you should process how you like it, although it can be useful to know some of the tricks available in PS they are nearly all achieving the same result in different ways.

Rachel Hollander
07-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Hendri - great improvement from yesterday's post both in the angle and in the pp. The reposts really take it to the next level.

TFS,
Rachel

Jamie Douglas
07-26-2012, 11:12 PM
This got turned up a notch after some constructive comments and resposts. Nice work Hendri.

Steve Canuel
07-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Nice composition. All versions work for me with a slight preference for Mr. Earle's flipped, warmer take.