PDA

View Full Version : Sharpe's Grysbok

Morkel Erasmus
07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Somebody's got to do something about the outbreak of predators seen this week on the forum!
Maybe this little guy can make a difference :w3.

Photographed this rare and elusive little antelope in the far northern Kruger Park (Punda Maria region) in August 2011.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 @ 1/2000 SS @ ISO-640

Gregor Bergquist
07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Very cute and fine portrait. Techs splendid as far as I can see.

TFS, Gregor

Ken Watkins
07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Morkel,

Always nice to see something other than the Big 5, I do my best to contribute to this process but find that they do not seem to attract as much interest:w3

I have a few Dikdik from Tanzania which will appear in the future plus I will take another look at my Oribi.

When you last posted one of these I commented that I did not think I had one, since then I have found a very old one taken in De Hoop.

Turning to the image itself it is great, although some may think the BG leaves a little to be desired?

Steve Kaluski
07-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Hi Morkel, a sweet image in nice light and I like the look to camera. The light looks good and has created a nice warm feel to the image.

I'm not sure if a landscape format works as well as portrait, but we all see things differently. Looking even at this size there is great detail still to be obtained from within the eyes & nose and think it's worth a revisit as the tones and colours contained are gorgeous. Doesn't need a RP to illustrate what you have. :w3

Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Morkel,

Not for the first time I am puzzled by a comment. What do you feel about the crop and your extraction of detail and the "potential" for further extraction?

I like the crop as is, it is all too easy to choose to put it into a portrait mode, I think the colours of the back are worth showing and although you have no legs, I do not mind as I think they were included in your previous post.

Dumay de Boulle
07-25-2012, 05:20 AM
I am gonna have to say nice to see this guy as I have never seen one before but I feel this is a very average portrait and not what I am used to seeing from you (photographic standard wise) What i can say is if you are sharing for interest sake....TFS, I like seeing something new... but from a photographic stand point, this one will not stand out in my memory bank. Techs and colors are great.

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys.
The BG is quite clean considering where these guys normally hang out...

Morkel,

Not for the first time I am puzzled by a comment. What do you feel about the crop and your extraction of detail and the "potential" for further extraction?

I like the crop as is, it is all too easy to choose to put it into a portrait mode, I think the colours of the back are worth showing and although you have no legs, I do not mind as I think they were included in your previous post.

Ken, I agree with Steve the darks on the face can use some more 'opening up'. I considered a portrait crop, but the reason I went for this crop is to show the grey hairs on the back from which the antelope gets its name "Grey Buck" (loosely translated).

FYI I did not crop out the legs, this is about 80% of full frame (I was close!). :eek3:

I am gonna have to say nice to see this guy as I have never seen one before but I feel this is a very average portrait and not what I am used to seeing from you (photographic standard wise) What i can say is if you are sharing for interest sake....TFS, I like seeing something new... but from a photographic stand point, this one will not stand out in my memory bank. Techs and colors are great.

Thanks for your honest thoughts, Dumay. Didn't my opening line convince you of the motive behind this post? :w3

It is certainly more for sharing as it is a rare species, and it will not end up being a "portfolio" shot that's for sure. That being said I am not shunning any critique on it as posted either. We can always learn and improve. What makes it an average portrait for you? Something about that PP can fix or something that should have been different out in the field? Shooting angle perhaps? :e3

Rachel Hollander
07-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Morkel - my initial thought was to crop to a portrait as I don't love where the rear is cut but having read the comments I understand you wanted to show the grey. Sweet face in nice light with excellent sharpness.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Morkel,

Thanks for your explanation I thought that you had not cropped off the kegs, too much "opening up" going on if you ask me.

Steve Kaluski
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
too much "opening up" going on if you ask me.

Ken lease explain.

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Steve,

I think it is self explanatory, not sure what I can add, other than some things are naturally dark:w3

Andreas Liedmann
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi Morkel,
lot of words about some small stuff.
I keep it simple , like it as is with a little opening up the shadows.
Great detail and color.
Cheers Andreas

Dumay de Boulle
07-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi mate...Sorry, I never read the stories/script that folks right about the image:e3 I usually try get the feel and emotion from looking at the image rather than reading the story behind it (If there is one) I feel its a image anyone with a half decent DSLR can achieve and I know that is not what you are striving for and I know what you are capable of. The comp and crop are not working, I think either a close up of the head or a full body shot would work better but a half a body for me is not ideal. I love the textures and colors and as always the PP looks great as you have serious skills in that department...So thats what I meant about a average image.

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2012, 03:26 PM
some things are naturally dark

Like your screen?? :w3

Sorry Ken, couldn't resist...tongue-in-cheek jest! :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi mate...Sorry, I never read the stories/script that folks right about the image:e3 I usually try get the feel and emotion from looking at the image rather than reading the story behind it (If there is one) I feel its a image anyone with a half decent DSLR can achieve and I know that is not what you are striving for and I know what you are capable of. The comp and crop are not working, I think either a close up of the head or a full body shot would work better but a half a body for me is not ideal. I love the textures and colors and as always the PP looks great as you have serious skills in that department...So thats what I meant about a average image.

All good, mate. Good to hear your thinking, and I agree - nothing special other than the sighting itself :bg3:.
(Thanks for the kind compliment too.)

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Like your screen?? :w3

Sorry Ken, couldn't resist...tongue-in-cheek jest! :bg3:

Morkel.

No worries, I for one like to see some humour creeping in now and then, but watch out and remember what happened to me:w3

Hendri Venter
07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I like the idea off a vertical crop but understand what you want to show. Nice sharp detail mate.