07-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Canon 1D4
24-105mm
Handheld

ISO 1000
f/5.0
1/5000 sec
105mm

Several weeks ago I spent a few days on Assateague Island (a barrier island off MD and VA) with my family. I noticed that there were several barn swallow nests around the bathroom off the beach. The swallows were flying back and forth, very busy bringing in food for their young ones, who seemed crammed into every nest. I thought this was as good a time as any to try my luck at these speed demons (notwithstanding the weird looks from all the bathroom visitors, the stench, and the biting flies). I first tried handholding my 500mm, as I simply can't use my wimberley head for close range birds in flight. That got tiring pretty fast and it was hard to lock focus even without the TC. The birds also passed through my frame before I could even get the focus point on them. Then I tried my trusty 400mm, but that was too hard too, as there was such a narrow field of view. And then I tried my 70-200mm which I thought would do the trick, but it simply couldn't get them in focus. (by the way this was in short episodes of time over several days--I might have spent a total of 2 hours on this). Then, finally, I tried my wide-angle, beloved, walkaround lens--the 24-105mm. And finally got some keepers. Anyway, wanted to share my findings with you all in case it might be helpful for anyone else frustrated by swallows in flight!

I don't know if this is the best of the lot, but I liked the fanned out tail, the sky, the eye contact, and the way the sand lit up the swallow's underside. This is definitely a significant crop--50% or so. NR, sharpening.

Thanks so much for looking and for any comments/critiques.

Bill Dix
07-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Terrific image, Melissa. I love the fanned tail and the nice uplight from the beach, and the clouds in the blue sky. Very sharp on my screen, and good HA. I, too, try to catch swallows in flight from time to time ( I consider it as my periodic exercise in frustration tolerance.) I don't think I've ever gotten one this sharp. I think the high SS really helped.

laurie golden
07-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Thank you so much for the great story and advise on getting these guys flying. And the shot is fantastic - perfect in every way.

gail bisson
07-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Well done Melissa!
Tack sharp and the fluffy white clouds and blue sky are lovely.
Comp is good and if the IQ can stand it , I might take a bit off the LHS,
Gail

Jim Crosswell
07-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I like the fanned tail, wing position, eye contact and clouds add interest to the sky BG. Well done Melissa!

Rachel Hollander
07-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Melissa - nice improv in the field and with good results. Flight position, comp and sharpness all look good.

TFS,
Rachel

PhilCook
07-24-2012, 09:44 PM
This is very very nice Melissa, I too have found photographing these flying missiles so very hard, but you have achieved this very well indeed.
Very sharp, great eye contact and a sky backdrop to die for....looks lime I will have to keep trying

Stu Bowie
07-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Hi Melissa, very well timed to capture this banking pose, and nice and sharp at 1/5000. I like the overall colours in the image, and the clouds do add that something special to the sky BG. I agree taking a bit off the LHS.

Ken Watkins
07-25-2012, 01:21 AM
This just goes to prove that the ability to "wave around" a light and small lens will sometimes work especially where fast flight is concerned. I never seem to get birds close enough myself and tend to rely on my 300mm F4, not that I have ever got anything as good as this.

christopher galeski
07-25-2012, 02:03 AM
good capture,sharp,nice BG,nice flight pose.well done.

Dumay de Boulle
07-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Congrats, this guy must have been close...Small bird in flight with a 24-105...Thats awesome. Lovely detail and flight angle!

Satish Ranadive
07-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Every thing has been said about this magnificent flight shot.
Very very sweet image.

Jack Breakfast
07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Just terrific! Ingenuity of lens choice is truly impressive. I used to love shooting swallows and swifts with my 90mm macro! It's a nifty trick! The short lens/fast-flying close bird combo!

arash_hazeghi
07-25-2012, 08:00 PM
very good, I can see how a short lens helps with these guys they are FAST! good job

Frank Schauf
07-26-2012, 12:57 AM
A great dynamic situation, congratulations, Melissa.

EzhilSuresh
07-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Melissa, fantastic image and a nice story to go with. Inspirational stuff.

Gary Esman
07-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey Melissa, this has to be the best in flight image of these guys I have seen. Excellent work.

Gary.

Amol Khedgikar
07-26-2012, 05:27 PM
I have been trying to get a sh0t like this for last two years (with a 100-400)....but never got such a clean shot...THis is clean , crisp and simply beautiful

Melissa Groo
07-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Thank you so much for all your kind comments.