PDA

View Full Version : Classic Cheetah

Gregor Bergquist
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
I´m continuing on that cheetah mother and her cubs I just posted. This time in 2x classic cheetah posé.

Cropped to square format, levels adjusted, selective light on the cub and some sharpening in LR4
Nikon D3, 600mm, 1/2500s, f/4, iso 200

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Hi Gregor, thought I would quickly swing by and I am so glad I did. I really like this, the content is 'cute' but it's the light for me that really works and is different. Although it appears harsh, it has been controlled and used well, creating a lovely, almost dreamy 'look & feel'. Not a lover of square crops, but this just adds to it. :cheers:

Gardening the two grass stems above the cubs head works, but your call. :w3

Thanks for sharing. :5
Steve

Markus Jais
07-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I like the square crop and the slightly out of focus adult cat. Great to see the little one looking straight at the camera.

Markus

Rachel Hollander
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
The cub has a big cuteness factor. I don't mind the square crop but I am wondering why you didn't stop down a bit to increase the dof. You seemed to have the ss to be able to do so. I find myself wishing for both cheetah to be in focus especially given the size of the cub in frame. I think I would also try a luminosity mask at 30-40% to deal with some of the highlights.

TFS,
Rachel

Tom Graham
07-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Agree with Rachel that I'd like to see the mama also sharp/in focus.
Tom

Ken Watkins
07-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Gregor,

The light is very nice but Mum being OOF really does not work for me.

I agree with Rachel and Tom in this regard.

Dumay de Boulle
07-24-2012, 05:49 AM
I like the thought and image design. Looks very cool I would up the temp as I am seeing blues and greys in the white fur.

Robert Amoruso
07-24-2012, 06:05 AM
I like the image design/composition with the two facing opposing directions and the cub looking at the camera. The OOF adult is bothersome. Even if you could not get adequate DOF to get both sharp, more sharpness in the adult would have warranted a smaller aperture. Other option is two image with each in focus and then merging the two images in PS later.

Andreas Liedmann
07-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi Gregor,
like the ( different to most viewers) small one in front and the OOF mother in background,giving the image more depth .
For me there are some other issues , like the square does not work for me ( in general).The highlights are a bit too bright for my taste,so the colors are a bit to cool.But that comes maybe with the shooting time.
You handled the exposure quite well , for the lighting conditions.
Would love to see one day ,such a small cheetah.

Cheers Andreas

Gregor Bergquist
07-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks everybody for looking and comments.
I´ll have a look at temp and light - but then I think only very slightly. The mother who is OOF I like, that was the thought. I did a few minutes later also take pictures with small aperture, but they didn´t turn out so good.

Morkel Erasmus
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Gregor - classic poses. Light well handled as Steve and others mentioned.

When I opened up this image, immediately a vision jumped out at me, and I went with it...let me know what you think??? :e3
Quick job done in Nik Silver Efex 2...

Gregor Bergquist
07-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh my, god ****. I love it! :5

Thanks a lot, you are a master.

Just sitting here and looking at it - wow again, thanks.

I got to get that Nik suite, and maybe PS (this is getting expensive and starts to take a lot of time...)

Bill Jobes
07-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Since the cub is the eye grabber, I think it's fine for the adult to be OOF.

After all, the cutie is, at least to me, is holding the 'wow' chits.

I agree with cloning the two grasses above its head.

The square aspect ratio also works for me. Once we see more such crops, they may merge into the mainstream.