Shy doe - twin is a not shy buck

Canon 7d, 100-400mml, f/8 1/200 ISO 400 300mm
slight crop w/minor proccessing

Handheld but braced from 15m

Please comment

Russ

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi Russ and a warm welcome to the Wildlife Forum.

There are a couple of threads you might like to read if you have not already, as they will help you with sizing your images to make the full potential of your images, plus how to create your file for web presentation and avoiding colour issues.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87393-Please-Read-Before-Posting-The-First-Time-and-Then-From-Time-to-Time

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/62351-Saving-for-Web-in-PS

Note: The Optized file size has changed from 200 to 250KB

Regarding the image there are a couple of points:
Taking the format it might have been better to have the fawn more to the right with more space to the left rather right
If this was full frame (FF) it's a little tight top & bottom as the feet are cropped off which is not good. Difficult I know with a fixed lens and you have to cease these moments when you can.
The branch over the nose, again is not ideal, but...
The colour looks very saturated, however ensuring your image is sRGB will help with any colour shift and makes it easier to comment on. Calibrating your monitor on a regular basis will also help.
Lastly, the image does not appear to be sharp. All digital images require sharpening and this needs to be done, but you need to be selective, ie the subject only.

Hope others will chime in and trust the above helps you. May I suggest you also swing by the Workflow Forum which is full of useful information to progress your photography. Might also be worth posting this in Eager to Learn too.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/11-Digital-Photography-Workflow

All the best.

TFS
Steve

Gregor Bergquist
07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Hi Russ, and very welcome!

I think this is a good start. Nice and cute fawn.

Technical wise I guess there is a few things, but thats partly what you learn on this forum. I´m pretty new myself, but think I have learned a lot here. There is more critique here than in most forums.

I think Steve covered most critique. I think you have sharpened the image a bit (could be more though), but focus is on the fawns back and not eyes. Hence the image is viewed as soft. And I am not so found of the green frame.

Greetings Gregor

Rachel Hollander
07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi Russ - Welcome to BPN and to the Wildlife Forum! Nice look back pose. Steve has covered the major issues well. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
07-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Welcome to BPN. I think Steve has covered pretty much all of it but keep posting this is a great place to learn and develop this hobby/profession for some of us (Not me)...Cheers, Dumay!

Andreas Liedmann
07-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi Russ,
very much welcome to BPN wildlife forum.
Not a perfect start, in some terms that are already covered by others but don `t be shy , just post new stuff and show what you got.You will receive quite honest and mostly helpful critiques by other members. Just listen carefully and try to make your way through imaging and processing your photographs.
Try to keep the progression slowly,specially if your are not "photoshopped" like a lot of us here.
Follow other threads and comment on other images ,share your thoughts , we all can participate by that.
So much , for now.
PS : if you do not understand any "JARGON " that is used here, just ask and you will get answer !!

Cheers Andreas