PDA

View Full Version : Another Landscape Arch at Sunrise

Ian Cassell
07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Canon 7D
Sigma 10-20 @ 10mm
1/100 sec f/7.1 ISO 800

Curves and sharpening in CS6

Posting this from computer at work -- I see I need some more NR on BG but can't do that from here.

PhilCook
07-24-2012, 02:58 AM
Certainly makes you wonder how much longer this structure will remain. Nice perspective and the great luck/skill with the sky looking good as well. I understand the sun is illuminating the rock, but is it perhaps a bit over saturated in color in PS as well ? Maybe it's just me but I stil see the haziness with this one again I mentioned before, most noticeable in the foreground trees....by chance was the dodge tool used to lighten shadows or some other PS method as it just lacks contrast and sharpness in the foreground

Jay Gould
07-24-2012, 04:56 AM
Ian, unless intentionally done, it is beautiful but it just doesn't feel sharp. The rocks are soft. ??

Robert Amoruso
07-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Ian,

I would agree there is an unsharp look to the entire image. I tried Nik CEP Tonal COntrast on it and like the results. Composition is nice, with good framing of the arch on the left and right. Pleasing looking clouds help make the image.

I would recommend nothing higher then ISO 200 (better to use ISO 100) with the 7D for landscapes images.

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Hey Ian,
Good observations above on sharpness. Lot's of possible suspects. I see you forgot a tripod on the Mesa Arch post......so that would be the most likely culprit even at that SS.......auto focus missing would be my 2nd guess. I always manually focus landscapes. Very nice comp and light!

Ed Cordes
07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
I like the comp and the clouds. However, as others have mentioned there is something funky going on in the image. The colors look a bit over done and posterized. The trees at the bottom look like a huge amount of flare resulting from over processing. Sorry to sound negative, but there is just something weird going on.

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree with what's been said above, Ian...especially what struck me is the excessive orange glare over the image? Do the rocks exude such a strong glow from the sun? It looks weird - sorry for my bluntness.
:eek3:

Ian Cassell
07-26-2012, 04:21 PM
No apologies necessary, Morkel. Yes, in fact, that color is pretty accurate.

Mark Wiseman
08-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Ian,
I am astounded by the wonderful colours of your image and like the composition.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark.