PDA

View Full Version : Brown bear, 1DX

Charles Glatzer
07-23-2012, 09:43 AM
1DX, 500mm, camera on tripod with camera just inches above the water.
Waders make it all possible....water is 48F.
Manual, Eval on grass, 1/500 @ f/5.6, ISO 800
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR4, CS6, NIK

After shooting for just over a week with the 1DX I can say without a doubt the 1DX is the best AF camera I have eve used. The speed of acquisition is second to none, and the percentage of tack sharp images exceeds all cameras I have used in the past. ISO 800 can be used without hesitation and noise reduction. ISO 1600 is outstanding opening up a whole new world for this photographer. I do wish for the RED AF in AI Servo. The new ergonomics take a bit of getting used to coming from IDs 3 and MIV bodies. Those familiar with the 7D may find the transition easier. The 5D3 is a wonderful camera as well. Much of what I do depends on capturing fleeting moments, switching camera settings in field from 5D3 to the 1DX requires a bit of thought. I have always had similar 1D bodies, making the transition seamless. I will most likely sell the 5D3 with grip and purchase another 1DX when funds loosen up again.

I am currently in King Salmon, spending the next week at Brook's Falls. Thereafter, I head back to the lodge with another group spending an additional week with the bears.

See you where there is light, or at the computer,

Chas

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2012, 10:09 AM
All looks good Chas, nice and clean.

Would there be an opportunity to post the head straight from RAW to see IQ? I think a lot of people are looking at this with anticipation and anything that would help I am sure would be much appreciated.

cheers
Steve

Ken Watkins
07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Chas,

The image looks pretty good to me, but what is it around the border.

If you consider to be the best you have ever used, then I suppose I will try to order one now, your comments about the ISO are particularly pleasing.

Just ordered mine from here in SA, thankfully considerably cheaper than UK, they say 10 days at most.

Morkel Erasmus
07-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Lovely soft light and comp/pose here Chas. I think all of us are very eager to see that 100% head-crop from RAW :Whoa!:

Gregor Bergquist
07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
It is a beauty, great shot with very good angle.

Markus Jais
07-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Great bear shot. I like the water dripping from the bear. Also a great look on his face. One question about the 1DX: Did you also make shots with ISO 3200 and 6400 and did you like the shots? Markus

Rachel Hollander
07-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Chas - Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the 1Dx. Nice image showing the claws and the dripping water adds to it. Looks like the mosquitos are bad this year.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
07-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Like it a lot, great droplets and pose and your usual high standard IQ...Idx sounds great, I look forward to seeing more results!

Hendri Venter
07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
What a nice image. The IQ is outstanding. I should not have read this :bg3:

paul leverington
07-24-2012, 09:48 AM
An incredible bear shot Chas! Sweet as heck with a tremendous sense of presence and power, yet graceful and charming--like a person almost. Wonderful stuff!

Paul

Andreas Liedmann
07-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi Chas,
Good bear shot ,with a lot of quality in it.Like the water flowing from the bears body, and the expression in the face is nice ,too.
Like to see a 100% view ,as others here.

Cheers Andreas

Shreyas Mantri
07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Excellent pose and details. love the post-production, this guy really pops out!

Charles Glatzer
07-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey Guys,

It is not prudent to judge images off the web with dissimilar monitor res, jpg compression, RAW algorithms, etc... yet many still want to scrutinize images in this way.
For what it is worth I will post the image as requested before days end.

FYI - the 1DX out of camera color is also the best I have ever seen.

Chas

Morkel Erasmus
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
It is not prudent to judge images off the web with dissimilar monitor res, jpg compression, RAW algorithms, etc... yet many still want to scrutinize images in this way.

Fair enough, Chas, and good point...but IMHO it's better to "judge" (or at least 'get an idea') based on a 100% crop export from RAW than from a downsized, optimally processed JPG with monitor variances being equal for the 2...? :e3:S3:

Steve Kaluski
07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Totally agree Chas, I guess this has been too long in the wings and the anticipation of just how good it is, in the right hands, has been long awaited. Based on current reports, you do need to really understand this camera, as it's not one you just take 'out of the box' and needs to be correctly set-up,can you verify this. Thanks

Steve Uffman
07-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Based on current reports, you do need to really understand this camera, as it's not one you just take 'out of the box' and needs to be correctly set-up,can you verify this. Thanks

Chas, Interested in this as well. Did not seem at first glance or run through to be a big hurdle as 95% of the settings seemed very familiar to me from the 5dIII and even some back to the 7d. Of course the last 5% could be the difference maker.... If there are tweaks, curious which are critical. Of course will learn a great deal about the camera in the next couple of days.

It does appear to be a beast. Though as I pack, the charger is about the size of a 7D body ....