PDA

View Full Version : ocola skipper butterfly

LindaHarden
07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Nikon D90, Sigma 150 macro, Sb700 flash with diffusion dome
1/250s, F9, ISO 200, -.3ev
In NX2, levels and curves, cropped, slightly straightened butterfly, some sharpening.
The thing I dislike the most is the out-of-focus flower/stem on right and parellel (and in front of) the one the BF is on. However, this is my best Ocola Skipper yet... they just won't stand still where I want.
CC welcome.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j5r0ygTUlug/T_jAJCpLRiI/AAAAAAAAACg/mA6ny0Ikdww/s800/DSC_7247%2520D90%2520Ocola_01.JPG

nzmacro
07-23-2012, 02:51 AM
These are so cute. Excellent lighting with that flash setup and a nice background to show this off on. Sharp detailed shot and the wings look great. Better than my attempts at these.

All the best and very nice.

Danny.

Steve Maxson
07-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi Linda. You've got almost everything going for you with this one - I agree with your self assessment about the OOF flower stalk. Everything else is lined up within your plane of focus, the skipper gave you a very nice pose, you have nice even lighting, and a great background. I like the comp too with the skipper in the ROT position. You might tweak the comp to add a bit at the bottom (if you have it) so that we see a little of the stalk on the flower stem the skipper is feeding on - a minor point. Overall, this is very nicely done!

LindaHarden
07-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks all....

Steve, I did go back and look at the original... Unfortunately my choice was to straighten the BF and lose the stem or keep the stem and have the BF facing more upwards... I was curious if there would be comments on the left-most plant which I decided to keep in the image to add balance.