PDA

View Full Version : Young Wild Boar

Markus Jais
07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Photographed this young wild boar in the Forstenrieder Park south of Munich where they are very common and quite
used to people and can be seen during the day and often photographed without a hide.

This is a young pig which with another young was out in the open a lot. A much larger one (mother?) was close but more nervous and in the forest. Still, I was looking up from time to time to make sure that no angry mother get's mad at a guy with a long lens :-)
Most of the time they had their heads in the grass or on the ground. I was hoping to get one shot with a pig looking right at the camera. They only rarely did it - they don't seem to like Canon :-)

About 6 MP crop from original, ISO 500, 1/250, f5. Noise reduction in LR 4, Shadow +44 to bring out the dark area around the eye and some increase in clarity and vibrance. A little sharpening in Photoshop.

EOS 7D, 4/500L IS.

A zoom would have been great here. I had the 1.4x on the lens for a short while in order not to crop but then they came too close and I removed it again. In this shot a 1.4x would have been great but constantly adding and removing it was not an option as I would have missed a lot of shots.

Markus

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
It looks good, Markus. Perhaps a little more space at the bottom would have improved it, but the shadows look nicely handled (might dodge the nose and ears a fraction more) and overall sharpness is spot on.
I feel your frustration with the adding/removing of teleconverters. This is where that Canon 200-400mm with built-in TC would be great for you Canon shooters. I am eager to see the performance of that system, as I presume most lens manufacturers will follow suit if this is a successful design.

laurie golden
07-22-2012, 05:44 PM
He is really cute. The flowers are a plus and love the grass and the nice sharp boar.

Andreas Liedmann
07-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi Markus,
nice colors ,with lovely yellow flowers breaking the more or less green.Good eye contact with a low POV to the subject, luckily you did not get ran over by a female wild boar.

Contrast, sharpness and comp work well here.
Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
07-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Markus,

Glad you did not bump into Mum or better still Dad. Great image probably the first I have seen of these here.

Steve Kaluski
07-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Hi Markus, looking at the image in PS I would agree with Morkel's summing up on moving in to the next stage. I would also look at lightening the eyes to as they just 'pop' nicely. Remember Markus, the clarity slider should not be anywhere near the old LR3 setting, so be careful, also did you add any contrast in LR and did you consider moving the Dark slider? Having the flowers lifts the image nicely.

Note the file is RGB not sRGB so you need to ensure this for the future to get best results when posting on the web. :w3

I am eager to see the performance of that system, as I presume most lens manufacturers will follow suit if this is a successful design.

The jury is still out for me Morkel, having looked at the lens last year, is having a 1.4 drop down useful or a gimmick, they are dragging their heels on launch date, but overall it will be the cost factor, especially when you consider what all the new update prime lenses cost these days.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Markus - nice to see something different. Good comp, pose and sharpness.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
07-24-2012, 06:00 AM
I like the angles and textures...Very nice as presented. Nice one Marcus!

Steve Canuel
07-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Enjoy seeing photos of these animals, something primeval about them, and I like the grasses you've captured him in. Also like the detail you captured. I find going vertical to be a good option on the rare occasions when an animal actually approaches to close, you've got the TC on the lens, and you're not sure how long he's going to stick around before running off. Allows you to get a couple good shots before you take the chance on removing the TC.