PDA

View Full Version : Fish River Canyon Window

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Dug this one up from our 2009 hike through the Fish River Canyon in Namibia. This was taken right at the start of the hiking trail where you begin a steep descent to the canyon floor.
It was a rare-for-winter overcast morning with slight drizzling rain from time to time.

This was still early days for me in terms of landscape photography, so I basically just shot on-the-go...but I do hope there are more undiscovered shots like this in those archives. :S3:

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f11 @ 1/160 SS @ ISO-200
handheld, single exposure double RAW processed for dynamic range

Robert Amoruso
07-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Morkel,

Nicely composed and proportioned. I would like to see form Local Contrast Enhancement used on this one. I tried it using Nik ColorEfex Pro Tonal Contrast and like the results.

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks Robert. Already ran Nik Tonal Contrast and LCE on this - didn't want to push it any more. How much would you suggest?

Jay Gould
07-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Hi, for me, removing the "barrier" at the bottom of the image opens it up and give more depth. Your thoughts on RP?

Robert Amoruso
07-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Thanks Robert. Already ran Nik Tonal Contrast and LCE on this - didn't want to push it any more. How much would you suggest?

I ran TC at its defaults then reduced opacity to 34%. I like that result.

Regarding the repost by Jay. I feel I prefer the original post. The cliff edge at the bottom gives the viewer a nice "stepping off point" into the image.

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Hey Morkel,
I like the OP comp as it framed the valley nicely. !00's of possible ways to tweak this one.....my twist will be to try darkening the FG.....and lightnening the valley a touch. Lot's of options but very nicely composed!

Vivaldo Damilano
07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Great vista Morkel, love the comp and clouds but would agree with adding more contrast.

Morkel Erasmus
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Robert, Roman and Vivaldo...

Matt Fragale
08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
That's a beautiful place and a great shot, Morkel. I like Jay's crop, but I don't know that I like it better... I think that's just such a great spot that you probably could crop it a 100 ways and it would still look great. I like what Jay did with the colors a little better. But not much to say about this one for me other than I really like it.

Jay Gould
08-13-2012, 06:42 PM
That's a beautiful place and a great shot, Morkel. I like Jay's crop, but I don't know that I like it better... I think that's just such a great spot that you probably could crop it a 100 ways and it would still look great. I like what Jay did with the colors a little better. But not much to say about this one for me other than I really like it.

Very interesting; I did nothing with the colors! I only cropped - anybody have a suggestion why the color does look different?