PDA

View Full Version : Black Guillemot

Mike Milicia
07-22-2012, 02:11 PM
EOS-1D Mk IV, 500mm f/4L IS + 1.4xII, 1/800, f/8, ISO 400
About 85% of Full Frame.

Photographed on Flatey Island in Iceland during last month's Shoot The Light workshop.

He is bringing a freshly caught rock gunnel (also known as a butterfish) back to the nest which is inside the hole in the rocks on the right.

dankearl
07-22-2012, 04:26 PM
The thumbnail doesn't do this one justice.
Really cool prey and setting.

laurie golden
07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Mike,

I do like your bird as expected with good exposure - I wish I had one of these. The fish makes the photo together with the nest hole, a good story. I probably would have deleted some or all of the white spots on the rocks and would wish for more room at the top and less on the bottom.

Marina Scarr
07-22-2012, 08:13 PM
You are so lucky to have been able to photograph these, and with prey!!! Your blacks look great. Love the environment, white spots and all. If you have the canvas, I might try him a little lower in the frame.

Grace Scalzo
07-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Just superb. Bird, prey, story...it all comes together. I wouldn't change a thing.

gail bisson
07-23-2012, 06:43 AM
A nice image Mike.
Exposure is great.
I like the prey and the environment. I love the clear view of the feet and nails.
If I had one wish it would be that his body was a bit more parallel to the sensor so we could see the tail and rump a bit better. Minor nit though...
Gail

Satish Ranadive
07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Marvelous image of Guilemot in nice rocky environment.Fish color is well suited to rock colors.Love the blacks with beautiful exposure .
Love the pose,great details in blacks,colorscheme of frame and lovely lights.
Regards.