Melissa Groo
07-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Canon 1D4
500mm +1.5x
Handheld

1/1250 sec
f/5.6
ISO 1250

I took this in a swamp I visited with some friends in Fort Myers, FL in May. The light was getting pretty low, and we decided to leave. I had just packed up when we noticed what looked like a rumble of sorts heating up among a group of stilts. I dropped everything and knelt down, handholding my 500mm (which I think still had the skimmer pod attached so it was a bit awkward!). I got this at the height of the fracas, and wanted to share it with BPNers despite its flaws--e.g., lack of sharpness in spots, tricky color balance due to low but strong warm sun, less than perfect head angle on hapless victim, etc. Any thoughts on how to improve? I would greatly welcome any comments/suggestions.
I find that I am more and more interested in capturing behavior like this, freezing a moment in time that gives us a glimpse into the relationships among birds.
Crop, added some canvas on right, sharpening, NR, cloned out some blotches. Whites recovery.

Arno Ellmer
07-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Great actioned captured here, Melissa.You did very well considering the poor light.Despite the higher ISO ss of 1/1250 was too slow for the quick action, but you got sharpness where it counts.I love the bg and the water drops,as well as the domineering posture of the aggressor.

laurie golden
07-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't see anything you could do to improve this shot. It is a great action shot and sharp where it needs to be. Great background. I love the aggressor bird foot that looks like it is going through the other bird.

Joe Senzatimore
07-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Action captured is awsome , as is the beautiful light.

Markus Jais
07-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Great action captured in wonderful light.

Markus

PhilCook
07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
For me it's always refreshing to see more than just the BOAS image, I seek the same when possible and as you suggest it gives great insight into the behavior of birds......well done and love it !

Cant really find anything to nit pic on this one, great action and sharp where needed, love the water and backdrop color, splashes are the icing

dankearl
07-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Cool action and I agree that a bit more SS would have worked well.
A nice illusion, it appears the foot is stabbing through the poor guy on the bottoms neck!
Neat shot.

Chris Martinez
07-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Oh wow check out the action!! This is seriously cool!
Composition is very pleasing to my eye.

Considering the low light levels it looks like you did pretty darn well!!

gail bisson
07-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Hi Melissa,
This is really neat. I love the foot "through" the neck! Unusual illusion.
Difficult conditions handled well.
As you said a higher SS would have been better but the lovely BG and water splashes make up for it!
If you aren't happy with the color balance you could try a cooling filter at ~ 5 to 15%
Gail

Satish Ranadive
07-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Great action and behavior captured. Every thing has been said about this excellent image.
Loved the composition,nice pose of both aggressive and pity helpless fellow.I like nice BG with water droplets.
TFS.

Maya Raut
07-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi Melissa,

Wonderful light and low angle action shot. Well done !!

- Maya

Robert Holguin
07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Great action shot. I really like the open beak and the position on the top bird, the look on the lower bird is priceless almost asking for your help.
Very well done.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Amazing action Melissa and i remeber the spot well. I missed this day and looks like I missed all the great action. Great job girl. Can't wait till next years visit with you

Ofer Levy
07-24-2012, 01:47 AM
An impressive behaviour and action shot. Here is a repost as discussed.:w3

Melissa Groo
07-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Ofer, you've gone and done it again. Greatly improved! Thank you so very much!

Charissa
07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Lovely image, great interaction, vibrant colors. Great shot.