PDA

View Full Version : Asian Week - Peace

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2012, 06:01 PM
I took this image on a recent trip to New Port Richey on the west coast of Florida. It is a long exposure blur taken of some reeds at the water's edge - f/32, .3 sec., ISO 100. I converted to Selenium tone in LR4 and added my chop and the kanji that is supposed to mean "peace" as I think of this as a peaceful image.
Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Dan Brown, for judging this theme:S3:

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I think I like it better without the black border. If everyone agrees, I'll repost without it.:S3:

nzmacro
07-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Whats that old saying, less is often more and how true that is. Beautifully done and a great feel to it. Asian theme huh, Hmmm the mind is ticking over already. Give me a few cups of coffee, 2 beers and I'll take a look at it :c3:. Kiwi way of saying, you have a deal.

All the best Cheryl. Wonderful feel to this, clever work.

Danny.

Cheryl Slechta
07-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Danny. We have 2 weeks for "Asian Week" - I hope we see some of your creations (beer and java induced or straight up:cheers:)

John Storjohann
07-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Cheryl, this is beautiful in it's simplicity..the pastel colors, the strong composition...a serene, peaceful image. I wish there was just a bit of space on the RHS...to give the grass at the right edge a little bit of breathing room, as reflected on the LHS...but that's a minor point. Nice work, no matter how induced! :t3

Paul Lagasi
07-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree with above..simple yet eye catching..well done Cheryl

denise ippolito
07-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Simple and beautiful and a great start to the theme week!

Anita Bower
07-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Beautiful! The processing and colors are just right for the image. Very, very nice. Using a slow shutter speed produced a lovely, soft effect. It is peaceful. I agree with wanting a bit more on the right, but, not a big deal.

Nancy Bell
07-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Cheryl, this is peaceful in a simple monotone. I think without the black border, to allow one's imagination to just drift off the edges. Also, how does one make a chop symbol?

Dan Brown
07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Very nice Cheryl! Thanks for getting us started. The border does not seem to bother me as it is very thin. I keep wanting to move the chop though! Maybe up above the dark band that is above it and in away from the frame edge about it's width or so? The calligraphy and the chop seem kinda stiff where they are? Maybe it's just me?

Dan Brown
07-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Cheryl, this is peaceful in a simple monotone. I think without the black border, to allow one's imagination to just drift off the edges. Also, how does one make a chop symbol?Nancy, what I do for my digital chops is to open (IN PHOTOSHOP) a new canvas, any size, produce a piece that you like, with calligraphy fonts, free hand or whatever. For the border, you can select using any selection tool, (square, rect. oval, round, freehand or whatever) then stroke the selection, making it as wide as you want (don't worry about the color at this point). Then, using any selection tool that you want, select the whole piece and then save this under "edit" "define brush preset" name the brush something (chop#1) and viola, it appears at the bottom of your brush set. Now you can use this brush with your brush tool, (clone tool, eraser tool and maybe more!) make it any size and/or color (FOR A TRADITIONAL ASIAN PIECE, I RECOMMEND A DEEP RED ONLY! OTHER COLORS CAN HAVE MEANINGS THAT ARE NOT APPROPRIATE!) and just stamp it anywhere you want. If you don't like where it is, you can use the move tool and drag it around and drop it till you get the right balance for your finished piece of digital "Asian" art!

Cheryl Slechta
07-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Dan. I didn't like the chop placement either but couldn't settle on any other location so I was waiting for you to help me:e3 Do you think it should be bigger? I'll have to work on it tomorrow - my air conditioner just broke and it's getting too warm in my computer room to function.:eek3:

And thank you for answering Nancy's question - I just got online.

Very nice Cheryl! Thanks for getting us started. The border does not seem to bother me as it is very thin. I keep wanting to move the chop though! Maybe up above the dark band that is above it and in away from the frame edge about it's width or so? The calligraphy and the chop seem kinda stiff where they are? Maybe it's just me?

Cheryl Slechta
07-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Dan, does this look better? I moved it and made it slightly larger. I like it better - do you think it needs to be moved farther to the right?

Dan Brown
07-22-2012, 10:19 PM
I like the repost, Cheryl! It just seems to have a better balance to it.:S3: