PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Bulls

Andreas Liedmann
07-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Photographed this elephant bulls in Etosha around Chudop waterhole in june last year.They were part of a big herd of about 50-60 elephants.They were fighting for about half an hour with breaks.Finally big mama came and chased one of them .i do not know why she picked only one.
With loud noise he disappeared in the bushes ,was moaning and roaring for a while in there .
After some time he came back and joined the herd, and started again making hazzle.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III
Ef 70-200 2,8 IS L at 135mm
HH
F8 / 1/400 sec / ISO 640

Processed in RPP + PS cropped for composition to 70% of FF

Hope you like it.
Andreas

Ken Watkins
07-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Andreas,

A typical Etosha sky in this one.

Not to sure if the angle of the Elephants really works for me, the rest is perfectly OK.

Hendri Venter
07-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Nice light and action here Andreas.

Steve Kaluski
07-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi Andreas, yes the light is nice and good to see the interaction, but what appears to be the ear coming over is not ideal. I know you have better IMHO and surprised to see this one.

Try pumping up some vibrancy, and even some black in the Red & Yellow channel. Just a thought? I think an RGB blend might be too much?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
07-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks folks for watching and comments.
Steve-do you think this one is not a keeper ? The reason for posting this one beside i like it, was how i develop the darks for the eyes of other viewers.Second i was sure that i am already on the limit of vibrance in the reds and yellows.
The RP comes with your suggestions WDYT ?
Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Andreas, I am not in a position to say yes or no as to whether this is a keeper or not, only you, as the author can decide that. I, like everyone that comments can only make suggests, comments etc. Perhaps posting another may sway the balance as to which one is better or preferred, but each has it's own merits, however never to bin unless for technical reasons it merits it. On reflection perhaps the original is better in terms of light/warmth/time of day, but it is oh so subjective.

One thing I would do, is remove/garden the single branch on the RH edge. :w3

Gregor Bergquist
07-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi Andreas

In my book this is definitely a keeper. I like the situation, the nature it plays out in - especially that short whiteish kind of grass and the warm light. Me and my monitor think color is nice. For me it is too crisp. I know you like crisp, so I guess that is different taste. And I do agree about is removing that little branch.

Nice one, TFS

Tom Graham
07-21-2012, 10:31 PM
For me the image is about the fighting. And I can not really see the heads doing the fighting.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
07-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Andreas, I dream of seeing two large bulls battling it out like this. I have only had a very playful skirmish by much younger fighters in Addo.
The light is nice but the direction of it was tricky...I think perhaps if the nearest elephant's right ear was flat against it's head so you could see its face (and the light would have hit it nicely!) it would have been a totally different image. I wouldn't bin this - though - but as Steve said everyone must decide that for themselves...:e3

In terms of colour I prefer the OP.