Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Image Quality RAW
White Balance Mode Daylight
AF Mode AI Servo AF
Color Space Adobe RGB
Drive Mode High-speed continuous shooting

I fully expect quite a few of you won't like, this but this is where it was and I liked the environmental feel to it. I don't think it has quite the impact that the "jungle " image recently submitted has but I am keen to read your comments favourable or otherwise. I will not be around for a couple of days so I will make relies upon return.

Allen Sparks
07-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi Jonathan, I like environmental shots so I do like this shot. Especially like the spiraling reed to the left. I do think the reed in the BG that intersects the abdomen is a distraction. Overall, I'd say this is well done and shows the habitat nicely.

Jason Stander
07-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Agree totally with Allen... enjoy the environmental bg (as it is subtle and it doesn't compete with the critter)... excellent detail and exposure on the DF... also love how all the colours compliment each other... VWD Johnathan!:w3

nzmacro
07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I know what you mean, but you will find that a lot of us don't mind habitat with the main subject. Heck we get to see this all the time ourselves. No problem here at all with it. Love the colours and the way the wings wrap around the stem, very nice details and good lighting.

All the best Jon.

Danny.

Anita Bower
07-22-2012, 07:36 AM
I know little about insect photography, but I like this image a lot. The diagonal lines are a strong compositional element and, to my eye, don't detract from the main subject. I like the details you captured on the head and body. The light and colors are pleasing.

Steve Maxson
07-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Jonathan. Well, just to show that we all see the world differently, I'll voice a minority opinion. :S3: The dragonfly is well done - as usual, and I like the habitat elements on the right half of the frame (though you might tone down the bright stem just to the right of the perch). Then there are the two cool, twisted stems on the left - in fact, for me they are so eye catching that they are really distracting me from your subject. I think that if they were straight stems like the others in the background it would not be an issue for me. Different strokes for different folks, you know. :S3:

LindaHarden
07-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I understand both views (including significant environment and not) and struggle to get the right balance myself. I really liked the repeating spiral reeds in this and the coloring and soft lighting. Overall, I like it well. For some reason, I wonder how it would look with the slightest of crops on the top and right.