Ian Cassell
07-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Canon 7D
Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm
f/7.1 1/80 sec ISO 800

Curves and sharpening in CS6

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Looks impressive Ian, wish there was something I could gauge for scale to appreciate the size of things. :S3:

Lookout for the halo on the underside of the arch RHS.

TFS
Steve

Ian Cassell
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks, Steve. They closed the trail to the arch several years ago after a huge piece broke off, so people can't get underneath. This has its upside (you can get images without people) but also its downside (no people on arch for scale). The arch is about 290 feet long and about 78 feet tall (I think it's considered the largest natural arch).

http://www.naturalarches.org/archinfo/landscape.htm

I missed that halo -- I'll go back and get rid of it.

PhilCook
07-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Speccy stuff Ian, lots in this to hold ones attention and very nice sky as well, it looks little hazy on my monitor, was it misty ?

Ian Cassell
07-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Phil. Nope, not misty ( I'm not seeing haze here).

PhilCook
07-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks, Phil. Nope, not misty ( I'm not seeing haze here).

Could be just monitor variations then, still a magic bit of the world and photo

Andrew Aveley
07-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Hi Ian , I am with Phil here on a 'misty' look especially in the centre of the frame . Also a tad soft ,maybe the result of resizing for post here . A technical suggestion here would be maybe F11 and ISO 400 (less noise in the sky)for better overall IQ could have added more DOF . I did a slight repost with some LCE at 15,50,0

TFS

Ian Cassell
07-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Andrew. I like the repost. what is "LCE"?

Andrew Aveley
07-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Ian , soory , its Local Contrast Enhancment , Follow this link to Roberst Tutorial, scroll down and you will find the full description TUTORIAL (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/20434-Image-Contrast-and-Tonal-Range-Tweaks-Part-1-by-Robert-Amoruso)

Robert Amoruso
07-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Ian,

I like the compositional flow in the image and the fact you only include a part of the arch. Clouds move right, arch flows right, FG rocks and brush flow up. I would have preferred more of the bare branches int he FG assuming that did not introduce other issues as the one inf the middle appears truncated. Agree that the LCE tweak a good one and would have suggested it myself.

My preference would be NOT to have persons in the image. Last time I was there you could walk up to it.

Roger Clark
07-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi Ian,

This is certainly an interesting and different composition. I do like Andrew's repost. I'm not sure I like the arch being cut off, but it does have some interesting awe to it: the viewer is wondering what is that rock on the right going out of the frame, drawing the viewer in and questioning what is there just out of the frame. Congratulations on the different view. I would like to see another image with all of the arch. I have been by this arch many times, but never at sunrise (I've been by it before sunrise going on to other subjects). Nicely done. Next trip I may do this arch for sunrise, as who knows how long it will stay up.

Also: why ISO 800? I always try and do landscapes at ISO 100 or 200 (except night imaging).

Roger

Ian Cassell
07-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks, folks. ISO 800 because I didn't have my tripod with me :)

I have more with the full arch -- will post when I get a chance. It's a beautiful spot for sunrise, but wish I could have gotten closer.

I find it interesting how many well known arches and well known geological structures have fallen relatively recently (including this one, skyline arch, and Old Man of the Mountain in the White Mountains of NH). Considering the zillions of years they have been there, I wonder why they are choosing to fall now.

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey Ian,
I like this perspective/composition......even if it does cut the arch so nice twist. Some excellent advice given above on tweaks. You had a great sky and nice job capitalizing on it!