PDA

View Full Version : Moon and Baobab

Ken Watkins
07-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Taken just as the sun was rising in Ruaha National Park, Tanzania 4th July 2012.

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200mm MkII at 85mm

F5.6, ISO 400, 1/100, EV -1

Roger Clark
07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Hello Ken,

This is a nice image of the earth's shadow. Nicely done regarding the high dynamic range of the full moon and the dark foreground. I would boost contrast a bit. I'm also thinking the image would be stronger if the left side were cropped some to cut out what looks like a road. Not sure where to put the crop line. Perhaps between the two trees on the hosizon?

Roger

Morkel Erasmus
07-23-2012, 09:12 AM
I've had more than one look at this, Ken, and have delayed responding because my mind wasn't made up on what it needed. Roger has clarified that and I fully support his crop suggestion. I would also tweak exposure just a tad to add more definition but being careful to avoid losing that dark pre-dawn feel...

Ken Watkins
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Roger,

Oops fancy not noticing the road, especially given my prior comments on roads, it also goes across the image in the middle.

I think that a bit of road repair via cloning and patching may be in order, plus a boost in contrast. I have given myself a sound thrashing:bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
07-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Ken, unlike in wildlife images, roads can be used to good effect to act as leading lines in landscape images. This forum is "road-friendly" since it includes city- and travelscapes.
In this case, having more of the road visible would have enabled it to act as a "flow-enhancer" for taking the viewer through the image. As it is the road is neither here nor there for me.