PDA

View Full Version : Another elegant and pulchritudinous r.b. gull, bless me!

Jack Breakfast
07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
The paucity of exotic avian friends here in T.O. has renewed my already ferocious love for this species, my cherished larus delawarensis. Taken with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 277mm. iso320, 1/500, f5.6. As always I shall welcome your thoughts and opinions. Just pretend it's something less common, a rara avis, so to speak; that's what I do...

gail bisson
07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
This is good Jack.
Excellent exposure. I like the bug in front of the gull and the uplifted leg and the out of place belly feather.
gail

christopher galeski
07-20-2012, 01:16 AM
nice one Jack,ditto on what Gail as said.thanks.

Satish Ranadive
07-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Marvelous image in habitat. Loved the pose,nice details in whites and grays.

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2012, 07:34 AM
The bug adds a lot to this one. Nicely done.

TFS,
Rachel

Jack Breakfast
07-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the kindly accolades, folks!

Daniel Cadieux
07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Ditto the others! Personally I could do without the partial yellow band above though, and I'd eliminate the small white OOF circle in front of the subject's belly.

Just pretend it's something less common, a rara avis, so to speak; that's what I do...

That's funny you say that, cause I do too...really! If these guys, and Mallards, were rare they'd be much more appreciated I think :-)

Jack Breakfast
07-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi Daniel, I believe you. You strike me as an appreciator of all birds. Mallards too, yes indeed. I obsessively photograph the common birds; so doing keeps my sanity levels in check. As for this picture, the yellowish band really makes it for me and I'd be loath to remove it. I thank you for pointing out the white OOF circle, I shall evict it presently...

laurie golden
07-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Jack,

I like the colors and the yellow stripe at the top - wish it went all the way across the picture. God angle on the bird and nice exposure. Reasonably low angle - bet if you were laying on the ground in the ucky stuff you would have gotten more of that nice yellow band.

Jack Breakfast
07-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Laurie, I couldn't agree more. Actually I should have done that and was even considering getting into all the lovely goose droppings but the gull only posed in that spot for a few seconds before he wandered off...good lessons for the future, always and always

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-21-2012, 10:27 AM
As far as gulls go i think these are one of the prettiest. I like the raised foot and the ruffled feather on the chest. If this were mine I would try a crop off the top below the yellow band and then just a little off the left too.

Jack Breakfast
07-21-2012, 11:39 AM
As far as gulls go i think these are one of the prettiest. I like the raised foot and the ruffled feather on the chest. If this were mine I would try a crop off the top below the yellow band and then just a little off the left too.
Thanks Cheryl, can't bring myself to lose the yellow band but I tried the crop your way and it does look quite good. Nice eyes; good ideas; hip hip hooray