PDA

View Full Version : Male Leafcutter Bee

Steve Maxson
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I found this male Leafcutter Bee (Megachile sp) immobile on the underside of a flower. I spotted two others that morning clinging motionless to the tops of plant stems in a meadow. I was struck by the colorful eyes and the cool "leggings" on its forelegs. These are about as large as a mid-sized bumble bee. 5D II, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/16, ISO 100, light box, 2 remotely fired flashes, hand held. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Norm Dulak
07-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Steve.

This is another in a series of remarkable images, each of which has been sharp, colorful, and really brilliant. But I see them all as very clinical, albeit technically excellent. They would all be terrific in an identification guide.

I would be much happier though if you could remove them from their plain, sterile, white environments. Put them on a leaf or flower, or do something like that to add interest. I think the critters and your abilities are fabulous, but you could present them in a more interesting way. :S3:

Norm

Jason Stander
07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Absolutely perfect... what a critter and what a shot... so VWD Steve!!!!

nzmacro
07-20-2012, 04:00 AM
Kind of bright when you open this up Steve. Good DOF and love the colours and details on the bee. Awesome sharp details in fact.

Danny.

Allen Sparks
07-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi Steve, wonderful detail and tones. Really shows off the make up of this bug very well. Cool eyes as you have mentioned.

Anita Bower
07-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Steve: I really love your insect photos taken in the light box. Wonderful light and details. Large image. No distractions. Beautiful work.
How do you capture these insects? How do you get them to be still in the light box? I assume they are glad to get back outdoors when it is over.

Steve Maxson
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments!

Norm: Thank you for your opinions - though I think the issues you raise are largely a matter of personal taste. :S3: These images are studio portraits of just the insects and I intended them to be set in an all white environment. I can appreciate that this studio look is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is my primary photographic interest at the moment. Photos of insects in their natural environment are great - and I have taken many of them (not to imply that mine are great :S3:). The studio portraits are simply a different style that lets one focus all one's attention on the insect itself.

Anita: Most of my insect subjects are captured in or near my yard (I live in a rural, forested area next to a lake). I usually capture them in a 50 ml centrifuge tube (i.e., a plastic tube with a screw-on top). I can carry several of these in my pockets and they are readily available if I happen to spot an interesting insect. I usually have very little difficulty capturing flies, bees, and wasps this way - as well as slower moving subjects. Some subjects will just naturally be still in the light box. Others can be placed under a petri dish lid (clear plastic) for a few minutes and they will settle down and pose for you once you remove the lid. Active fliers and insects with stingers go in the refrigerator for a few minutes to cool down and become less active (I monitor them closely so I don't overdo it)- then they will usually pose for you as they are warming up - though the transition from posing to flying away can happen almost instantaneously. After I have photographed these subjects, they are released outside.

Anita Bower
07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Anita: Most of my insect subjects are captured in or near my yard (I live in a rural, forested area next to a lake). I usually capture them in a 50 ml centrifuge tube (i.e., a plastic tube with a screw-on top). I can carry several of these in my pockets and they are readily available if I happen to spot an interesting insect. I usually have very little difficulty capturing flies, bees, and wasps this way - as well as slower moving subjects. Some subjects will just naturally be still in the light box. Others can be placed under a petri dish lid (clear plastic) for a few minutes and they will settle down and pose for you once you remove the lid. Active fliers and insects with stingers go in the refrigerator for a few minutes to cool down and become less active (I monitor them closely so I don't overdo it)- then they will usually pose for you as they are warming up - though the transition from posing to flying away can happen almost instantaneously. After I have photographed these subjects, they are released outside.
What an interesting process! Thanks for the details. As I've said, wonderful portraits!!