PDA

View Full Version : Finland

Steve Kaluski
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Ok guys, not quite unto scratch with what is posted here, but Morkels drive image of the stars reminded me of ours. Two miles from the Russian border in deepest Finland in January. This was taken around 9.45am, -28 degrees and the only place I have been worried about hand holding a camera and long lens. :bg3:

I might show you later what you have to walk through for the wildlife. :Whoa!:

Steve
Subject: Finland landscape early morning
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 24-70 f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/160s at f/2.8 ISO1000 +0.67 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture horizontal)

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2012, 04:36 AM
This looks good, Steve...you should venture here more often :w3
Interesting sky for 09h45 AM! Looksl like pre-dawn? Is this linked to your longtitude here, much like an arctic day that's got a low-slung sun all day?
I don't mind the cooler tones in the snow as it contrasts nicely with the warm glow in the sky...nice scene, certainly looks cold!

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Hi Morkel, in know my boundaries :bg3:, sun debatable, but the window was from around 10 ish to about 2.30pm, but it was 'light' so to speak almost 24/7, but how we see things and what the camera evaluates at are two separate things. Perhaps a tripod and a slow SS and some more knowledge you guys have for this?

cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2012, 05:24 AM
No Steve this looks really good viewing on laptop - will have to look on the "whopper" tonight as well...perhaps blending 2 or 3 exposures would have resulted in a bit more DR, but nothing wrong with this one for me.

If you want I can work up my own vision here if you send me a high-res JPG (you know where to send) :t3

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Cheers Morkel, I don't think it warrants the 'M' touch, however if I do send the JPEG it will obviously contain all the working, but flattened, WDYT? A4?

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Hi Steve, -28? Definitely better you than me. I like the tones and colors of this and feel that in balancing the clouds with the taller trees you have done well. And before you ask, haven't had time yet with the new "toy". Hopefully, this weekend.

Cheers,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2012, 07:21 AM
And before you ask, haven't had time yet with the new "toy". Hopefully, this weekend.

And I had money Rachel you would be up & running before Grant, as this rate the price must have dropped. BTW I have with mine, now it doesn't back focus LOL. Good luck and will want to see the results!!! :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2012, 08:01 AM
And I had money Rachel you would be up & running before Grant, as this rate the price must have dropped. BTW I have with mine, now it doesn't back focus LOL. Good luck and will want to see the results!!! :S3:

I'm assuming you are talking about all of your 5Dmk3's?? :Whoa!:

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Morkel - you don't really want us to spoil the surprise, do you? All I'll say is you may be right for 2 out of 3 but I'm not telling which ones. :t3

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Morkel - you don't really want us to spoil the surprise, do you? All I'll say is you may be right for 2 out of 3 but I'm not telling which ones. :t3

It's not really a surprise unless you pitch up at someone's door with it and say: "look what I have"...

I say the following:
Grant - 5D3
Rachel - 5D3
Steve - 1DX

:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
I think we are now in danger of going 'Off Topic' Morkel. Will let you know, but can you check your email please. :w3

Morkel Erasmus
07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Okay...

Cheers Morkel, I don't think it warrants the 'M' touch, however if I do send the JPEG it will obviously contain all the working, but flattened, WDYT? A4?

If you do send it - please try and send it as exported from raw (LR) without other PP? A4 is fine, I will downsize when working with it. :bg3:

Andrew Aveley
07-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Nice to see you here Steve :) Epic adventure this it would seem :) like the soft pastel tones and colours here. Maybe a scratch of the top for me but a pleasing image indeed.....:)

TFS

Markus Jais
07-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Beautiful scene captured in a wonderful image. One can feel the cold. I like the colors and the fantastic light.

Markus

Harshad Barve
07-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Excellent image indeed :)
TFS

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Thank you Harshad, I very much appreciate and value your input.

Jay Gould
07-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Steve, the only change I would suggest is to halve the space between the top of the tree and the edge. For this scene, I find that too much negative space.

Roman Kurywczak
07-24-2012, 01:25 PM
Hey Steve,
I like this as presented......looks cold.......so works for me! Unless totally calm.....slower SS could be dangerous with thin trees. 1Dx......he.he .he.....

Steve Kaluski
07-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback & advice guys, much appreciated from the people who know this field. :wave:

Hey Roman, great to see you back, need to catch up, but thanks. Will fwd a very interesting test report on the 1DX, enlightening to say the least, you will enjoy.

Gregor Bergquist
07-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi Steve

Nice one. Think you captured it very well, this is how it looks here. I would say that also goes for the blue cast in morning light.