PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pelican bearing gift, #2

Bill Dix
07-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Some time back I posted an image of this guy against a backdrop of mangroves. This was a few frames earlier, against the hazy sky before he dropped down into the vegetation. Tight crop from horizontal. Taken from the Hooptie Deux in January.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 1250, 1/1250s @ f/7.1 manual.

Russ Taddiken
07-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Very nicely done, I like how well you handled the bright background and still captured details in the subject. DOF is excellent! What i really like though is that you captured real behavior that is not commonly seen.

Russ

Daniel Cadieux
07-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Techs look good, and the nesting material is cool. Interesting crop, but I'd prefer the subject higher in the frame, and I'd add a thin black border for web presentation for the high-key image.

arash_hazeghi
07-19-2012, 12:21 PM
nice pose and details I like the nesting material. I am unsure about frame placement I agree with Dan that placing it higher in the frame and with a border will improve it!

dankearl
07-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I agree about moving it higher, but a cool, different, and interesting crop.

Richard Stern
07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Great idea and action picture, with excellent expression, sharpness and overall interest. I like how the diagonal of the branch carries on that of the beak. To me the upper part of the bird including the head and the upper mandible look a little washed out, and perhaps use slight darkening and/ or increase in clarity if you use Lr.

Richard

Stu Bowie
07-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Hi Bill, I really like your OOTB thinking with the crop. Good detail throughout, and agree with a higher placement.

Satish Ranadive
07-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Great image, interesting pose with nesting material.Love the expression,sharpness.Agree with Daniel about border.
Regards.

Rachel Hollander
07-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Bill - great detail and I like the high-key. The nesting material makes the image for me. Agree about a little higher in the frame.

TFS,
Rachel

Bill Dix
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful input. In the OP, I had positioned the eye according to the ROT, knowing this gave me a somewhat dynamic crop and a lot of space on top. I guess this is one of many instances where the ROT is a rule to be broken. Here's a repost with the bird slightly higher, a thin border (why didn't I think of that?), and just a tiny toning down of highlights on the bird. I appreciate the suggestions.