PDA

View Full Version : Robin take off

Austin Thomas
04-19-2008, 04:56 AM
One from the garden.

As the weather here is overcast I decided to use the flash guns again.

Canon 1Dmkiii, 70-200mm ,multiple flash guns, overcast day. 1/250th f8, ISO200

Thanks for looking.

Austin

Fernando Cerra
04-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Excellent ! you captured every detail

Philip Lombard
04-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Fantastic shot, nice job.

John Cooper
04-19-2008, 07:52 AM
A beautiful flight capture Austin. great lighting, details and composition. Was the robin heading for a nest box or perch?

Maxis Gamez
04-19-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Austin,

Very nice capture. The feet are terrific. You did well by using just the right amount of flash. The dark BG really makes this one pop!

Robert O'Toole
04-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Wing position and detail are superb. Nice image although this scientific documentary style of image (the night time effect) during the day isnt appealing to me.

Robert

Arthur Morris
04-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Very nice. Please describe your technique. Did you need to be awake to make this image? I do love the feet.

Axel Hildebrandt
04-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I like the pose and details but find the BG a bit dark. Interesting, I thought it was a landing pose.

Austin Thomas
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, I'll try and answer your questions.

The Robin was on a perch that it uses often, close to the feeding station. It typically stops on the perch and then moves onto spare space on the feeders. No nest or nest box in sight. The young are already out of the nest which is in a neighbours garden.

Arthur, I'm not sure I understand your question. was I asleep ! I didn't use an electronic trigger or beam if that is what you are asking . I trigger the shutter manually using a cable release and my eye, triggering soon after the bird leaves the perch.

For every image I create like this one, I throw away hundreds and it takes hours and hours.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Best regards,

Austin

Arthur Morris
04-19-2008, 04:07 PM
HI Austin, Yes, you figured out my question. Thanks for the info. I can surely understand the hit or miss effort involved. How many flashes were you using? (It looks as if there are multiple highlights in the eye).

Austin Thomas
04-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi Arthur,

Four flash guns used on this image but I have used up to six at times. I must clone out the multiple dots in the Robins eye before I print it out large scale.

I am bound to migrate down the electronic trigger path one day. Can you recommend one ?

Thanks

Austin

Arthur Morris
04-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Have never done that so no clue. Joe McDonald knows a ton about that stuff. Finally I get to my original point: why no flash on the BKGR??? That would keep folks from complaining about the dark BKGR... You could even go to a created background...

Freddy Franzella
04-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Pretty cool image! nice capture!

Gus Cobos
04-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Fantastic capture... love the details and colors...:D

John Cooper
04-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Have never done that so no clue. Joe McDonald knows a ton about that stuff. Finally I get to my original point: why no flash on the BKGR??? That would keep folks from complaining about the dark BKGR... You could even go to a created background...

As the BG is not a featureless black - coulldn't the image represent a sunlit subject against a shaded BG?