PDA

View Full Version : Lioness

Gregor Bergquist
07-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Lioness with cubs (one visible in background) an early morning in Masai Mara last november.

Slightly cropped and some noise reduction.
Nikon D3, 600mm, 1/320s, f/4, Iso 3200

Steve Kaluski
07-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi Gregor, I like this with the 'stalking' lioness and having the little one in the BKG adds interest to the image, likewise the raised paw.

I think she could do with some more select USM just to crispen up and add some more clarity to the subject, also adjusting the sliders L & R in Levels, just adds more depth to the image overall IMHO. Personally I think there is too much space to the left for her to walk into, but again this is just a personal POV.

I think you have very well based on the techs and conditions.

TFS
Steve

Markus Jais
07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Great lion shot. I like the cat walking towards the camera and the young in the BG. Light is beautiful. I would sharpen a bit more.

Markus

Rachel Hollander
07-17-2012, 07:16 PM
I too like the walking pose and the placement of the oof cub behind. Good suggestions above for taking this up a notch.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Well composed image, and I am really liking the cub in the BG, the light and the raised paw. Think it would be a more powerful image with some off of the left.

Andreas Liedmann
07-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi Gregor,
very well composed with the lions in the right position in the frame ,like the cub that adds depth to the image.
But i would borrow a phrase from Steve, this image is missing some OOOmph !!
Some tweaks in curves and or some LCE would help a lot i think-

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Lovely shot Gregor. Agree with Steve on some additional sharpening and a possible tighter crop from the left.
Love it when the light glows like this...

Rudi van den Heever
07-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Nits covered, but great composition, especially with the OOF cub that tells a bit of the story of the lioness...!

Gregor Bergquist
07-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your comments. Very helpful and I´m learning. You seem very united in some more cropping of the left side and more sharpening + clarity. I have applied some in LR4.

/Gregor