PDA

View Full Version : Black-Necked Stilt

Steve Large
07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi Everyone,
I guess for a lot of you out there this may seem as a common bird in your area. However, we have had the rare priveledge of having them nest here on Vancouver Island this season and it is quite a thrill for us. This image was taken at Maber Flats near Victoria B.C.

Stats: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, 500mm + 1.4X, ISO-800, 1/1000sec at F/8, +1 step, natural evening light

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Jack Breakfast
07-16-2012, 11:11 AM
I would lose my beloved mind over this fantasy bird! I love the sweet reflection and the colorful flora in the water. I would submit, however, that there is too much of it. If you're so inclined you may wish to clone some of it away; no-one will be the wiser. If this were my fine photograph to edit, I would lose some but not all of it! Not sure how...many ways to go on that front. "As presented" I do like the photo very much.

Richard Stern
07-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi,

Love the bird and reflection. I agree with Jack, you might try to lose the pink oof flowers around the bird's head, and a few other spotty distractions. that species is a great rarity in NS, too.

Richard

Karl Egressy
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Very nice shot, great replection. The flowers in the water adds interest.

Steve Large
07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your comments. Here is one for Richard and Jack. I can't get anymore minimalistic than this image.

Take care and good light,
Steve

Daniel Cadieux
07-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Beautiful bird, glad you got to photograph this local rarity. Well exposed, and I love the reflection. Nice sheen on the plumage. I am with Jack, however, in thinking there is too much going on in the water, especially the bits touching the subject. I also get the feeling the image may need minimal CCW rotation?