PDA

View Full Version : Common blue damselfly ovipositing

Jonathan Ashton
07-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Tripod Canon 50D Canon 180mm macro, ISO 400, 1/30 sec f8

I took this shot whilst lying prone on the ground using a bean bag as support for the camera and lens.
All C & C welcome.

Stu Bowie
07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Hi Jon, excellent sharp detail on the damselfly, and I like how you have positioned yourself to get the damselfly against that sweet colourful BG.

Gotta try macro as you suggested. :w3

Carel v/d Sanden
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi Jonathan
Find a nice picture, but the young lady is very light in color.
There are many bright pieces in the dragonfly.
What darker finish would do him good.
regards Carel

Markus Jais
07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Great shot. I like the low angle, the sharpness across the damselfly and the diagonal line of the plant.

Markus

Anita Bower
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Wonderful details! Nice clear bg. Does ovipositing mean laying eggs? I find the stuff on the leaf distracting and would probably clean them up, but, I'm not an insect photographer, so don't know what the convention is. I'd also crop from top, right and bottom to focus more on the beautiful damselfly.

Steve Maxson
07-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi Jonathan. Love the low shooting angle! Excellent sharpness, comp, lighting, and background - as usual. Now if you could have just sweet-talked the damselfly into ovipositing on this side of the leaf, this very strong image would be well over the top! :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
07-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the C&C everyone - much appreciated. I have attempted to portray the image in as life like a manner as possible. The damsel is very pale in colour (female) and was in a shaft of light, I have toned down the highlights considerably. Ovipositing - does indeed mean egg laying. I tend to leave a little more detritus in the image than is perhaps customary in USA, I suppose we tend to be very suspicious over here and if we see a sooper dooper clean image we tend to think it is a little less than reality, to each their own I have no complaints either way.
Steve I whispered gently to tell her to lay this side of the leaf but she was having none of it despite repeated attempts!

Bob Miller
07-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Jon....another fine image! i appreciate both the low angle and the natural looking foreground although I might be tempted to clean it up just a little ( dark hole near LRS on green)

Dave Leroy
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I really like how you captured the aquatic look and some what unusual pose.