PDA

View Full Version : Trying my hand with HDR...

John Storjohann
07-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Revisited one of my favorite places at the Botanical Garden and tried a different take on the waterfall...three shot HDR merged in Photomatix Pro. 24-105mm@58mm, f/11@1/160...tweaked a bit in PS, and then Topaz->Clean->Stylize. One of about four versions I've played a bit with. A tip of the hat to Jay on my approach to this particular version...I've always admired his processing of his landscapes; I went back and looked at some of them and applied some similar editing to this one, at least in part.

Dave Mills
07-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi John, I like your processing along with even lighting. If this were mine I would crop a bit off the left to the left of the pine tree. I feel that accentuates the waterfall more and still leaves more room on the left...

Nancy Bell
07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I love the vibrant greens in this! The waterfalls and rocks make a really nice focal point.

John Storjohann
07-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Dave and Nancy, thank you for the comments....Dave, is this along the lines of what you were thinking? It will be interesting to hear how others feel...I'm torn between the two.

Cheryl Slechta
07-15-2012, 05:53 PM
John, I think I like the original post the best. It's a beautiful work of art and I like being able to let my eye meander through all of the different aspects of it. I like the Topaz effect a lot.:S3:

denise ippolito
07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
I too like the original post best. I think it puts the waterfall in a stronger position. I love the rock in the foreground it almost mimics the waterfall look.

Maureen Allen
07-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Hi John - beautiful job with the filtering. I think I'd like a crop somewhere between the OP and your repost, cropping just enough to get rid of the busy branches in the LLC.

Dave Mills
07-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Hi John, yes that is what I was thinking. Stronger in my view...

Brendan Dozier
07-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Very well done, John, and repost looks great. Love the view of this waterfall surrounded by trees. Nice filtering and can see Jay's influence.

John Storjohann
07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that can see it either way...lol...with a vote from Maureen for something in-between! :t3 Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Anita Bower
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
A lot is going on in this image. I like the subtle use of HDR, and the beautiful effects of Stylize, especially on the tree trunks. I had to look twice at the rock to make sure it wasn't water. I think I prefer the original post, but both work. I also like the various shades of green and shapes of leaves. Lovely work.