PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Black & White Bird - eye to eye with common loon

Randy Stout
07-14-2012, 05:55 PM
This nice fellow was imaged two weeks ago in northern Michigan:

Nikon D4 600VR 1.4 TC f/6.3 1/500s ISO 2000 SB900 with BB and -2. EC

Post: CS5 selective sharpening, minor crop for comp, water clean up. No noise reduction

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Maya Raut
07-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Hello Randy, I have yet to see these birds in their breeding plumage and you have some stunning images of this species. Superb low angle, details, BG, Sharpness and HA.

- Maya

Doug Brown
07-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Like everything about this one Randy! Your trademark low angle, the great eye contact, perfect exposure, and subdued color. I like the placement of the bird low in the frame too.

Marina Scarr
07-14-2012, 07:26 PM
A real stunner, Randy. I can see so much details in the black feathers that it looks like velvet. Can't believe you didn't apply any NR at all! Great low angle. I might try (consider) burning the bird's back just a tad.

PhilCook
07-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I like the almost seamless transition from water to backdrop and the satin smooth water

Ofer Levy
07-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Nice image with excellent techs. Colours look a bit dull as presented - here is a quick repost.

Robert Holguin
07-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Teriffic shot! Excellent low angle, exposed very well, details are superb, great head angle, and I really like Ofer's repost.
Well done.

arash_hazeghi
07-15-2012, 03:09 AM
great shot I like Ofer's repost better. You must have at least 1000 great loon photos! ;)

christopher galeski
07-15-2012, 04:02 AM
nice image Randy,like thepastel colors,good low angle and nice pose,likeOfers' repost.thanks.

Satish Ranadive
07-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Marvelous image.Love the pose,nice low angle,BG and great details.

Giuseppe Varano
07-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Very fine portrait with nice low angle and amazing eye contact.

Randy Stout
07-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments, and Ofer for the repost.

Most of my loon shots are done very early in the morning, subdued lighting, often in the shade. This tends to give softer, more muted colors. My photos tend to represent this darker, moodier feel.

I appreciate that not everyone shares the same sense of esthetics. Which is good, cause it would be pretty boring if everyone liked exactly the same thing. :S3:

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
07-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Randy, love the soft light in this which in turn has brought the colours on the Loon's head so well. Good pose and HA, and what a perfect angle of capture.

Marsel van Oosten
07-15-2012, 06:22 AM
I like the low contrast and muted colors, and I'd actually prefer something between this one and Ofer's one in terms of saturation. Also, I'd like to see a tiny bit more space at the bottom so that the white curve is not cut.

Karl Egressy
07-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Great low angle shot, beautifully done.
You must sit lower in a kayak then I do in a canoe comparing the angles.
I'm glad that you left a little blue cast on the body which I like.
It encourages me to redo one of my shots where I got rid of all the blue cast from the body, leaving me with a lifeless black and white appearance.
Sorry talking about my stuff. All I wanted to say is that I really like your picture, Randy.

Dave Leroy
07-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Lovely photo Randy.
I prefer the original with the cool, damp, early morning in the forest feel to it.
Water really looks great.

Randy Stout
07-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys.

Marsel, good compositional point about my clipping the breast reflection by a bit. Unfortunately, I have no more below. Should have pointed my camera down a few more degrees

Karl: I shoot from a jon boat, not a kayak. I was never comfortable with big glass in a kayak. I know many folks make it work well for them. I also don't like being more or less limited to just shooting straight ahead. I can shoot a pretty wide range of angles off the side of the boat.

I have a boat seat that sits on the floor to get as low as possible.

Cheers

Randy

Lorant Voros
07-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Your loon images are simply stunning, Randy. This is also a beauty. I remember when you shared a picture of your rig in your boat. The low angle you get with it is incredible....it feels like you were in the water. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

dankearl
07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
This is one of your best, Randy, I like the softness of the OP.
Great angle and dreamy light!

Gary Esman
07-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Sweet shot Randy! Like everything about this one. The original has that Northern Michigan feel.

Gary.

rajojomanik
07-16-2012, 10:00 AM
great shot of this Loon Randy, the water is so calm and detaisl are amazing.

I haven't had much luck this year with the Loons.

Frank Schauf
07-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Nice composition and excellent expsoure control and sharpness.