PDA

View Full Version : Frosted Ferns

Ken Kovak
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM
My first image posting on this new forum. I look forward to the feedback.

Taken in late September, after the first frost, in Wayne County, PA.

Canon 40D
Sigma 105 EX Macro
f5.6, 1/25, ISO100
Manual focus on tripod
Normal ACR conversion and slight crop from the edges. In retrospect I should have done some housekeeping in the brighter pieces of leaf litter.

Thanks in advance,
Ken Kovak
Lehigh Valley, PA

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi Ken and welcome.

Agree on your leaf clutter comment. You can clone out the two bright ones at the bottom. If you do a selection on the BG and a gaussian blur that would help to tone it down. I like the composition on the leafs and would have panned up to keep from clipping the top left part of it. The right side leaf is OOF. I know this is counter to my previous comments on the BG but a bit more DOF might have gotten it sharp and then doing the gaussian blur latter to fix up that background.

I like the symmetry you chose to frame the image with. Thanks for posting.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Love the look and feel of the ferns Good suggestions from Robert Would add since ferns don't move fast I would check before making the image From experience you will know the elements that will interfere I like it !!!!!

Ken Kovak
01-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. Was struggling against the breeze, this not using the smaller aperture to get more depth on the right fern. In retrospect I did have room to move on the ISO to do that.

I have never had luck with doing a Gaussian Blur on a background like this and having it look natural. If someone could do a demo on this image that would be great, otherwise point me towards a good tutorial?

Thanks
Ken

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
An interesting graphic comp here. With you BG issues an alternative method that might work with these graphic elements would be full flash.. Let the light falloff render your BG black.. Image is then pure shape and form. Might work?????