PDA

View Full Version : Waterworld

Gillie Bengough
07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
I have no experience of night shots, but feel drawn to them, as it keeps me out of the sun! A thunderstorm was lurking as the sun went down and it was raining on and off. The original picture is navy blue, but a little tweaking of the white balance produced what I think is a more realistic colour.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7280/7562914718_8e010989ca_c.jpg

Nikon D7000, Tokina 12-24mm f4; 1.6s f9 ISO 200

Don Railton
07-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Helo gillie

I think you have done quite well here. A strong point in my opinion is the timing/lighting of the shot. You have captured the short period where the lighting across the frame is relatively uniform and hence maximises the detail you can squeeze into the image (ie no big black voids...). Having said that i think a little longer shutter would add a little more to the reflections in the water without taking anything away.. as it is you might need to crop a little from the bottom as the reflections are a bit too broken up IMHO... Nice clouds that might improve with a bit of local contrast enhancement...

well done anyway

DON

PhilCook
07-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Plenty of interest to attract the eye in this shot, and I like the warmth in this so the WB tweak was a good idea I think

Hilary Hann
07-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Some good suggestions made already. I do like the feel of place this image gives. Nicely done.

Morkel Erasmus
07-15-2012, 05:35 AM
I am quite inept at shooting and evaluating city scenes :w3 but I'll give my 2c
I like the overall mood/feel. Don's made some nice suggestions/points. I do think you can retain the warmth in the lighting but push the clouds and water a tad more to the "cool/blue" side for added contrast/mood.

Gillie Bengough
07-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions; I shall bear them in mind in the future. Morkel, I did play withe the colours in the sky/water but had a bit of trouble losing the bright blue that was in the original picture; I probably erred on the cautious side eventually. Gillie