PDA

View Full Version : Confrontational Grasshopper Sparrow.

Daniel Cadieux
07-13-2012, 05:49 AM
Trying some audio on this delightlful little sparrow species did not produce much at first on this outing...just as I was about to shut down the player out pops this individual from directly underneath the perch, buzzes his song once, and disappears back into the long grass. Thank you little guy! I was hoping to get a bird on this perch with the short pines in the BG providing some intererst to the BG...

Canon 7D +100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/6.3, ISO 400 (histogram checked), natural light, handheld, small crop top left and right for comp, negated a heavy greenish cast via Color Balance and Selective Colour.

Jack Breakfast
07-13-2012, 06:46 AM
I very much like the composition: bird in the middle, soothing o.o.f. pines on either side. You have created a good world of greens. And: audio wins again! That sparrow thought there was a rival around, and you were rewarded with a striking pose indeed. An evocative photograph.

Rachel Hollander
07-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Daniel - nice singing pose and I also like the oof pines so don't mind the central placement here. Nicely done.

TFS,
Rachel

Sachin Saraf
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Daniel, Loved this one...beautiful calling pose and OOF pines brings balance to this frame and hence central placement works nicely. You use calls very effectively.

Lorant Voros
07-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Daniel. I like that you go a bit against the rules with this central placement, though I could imagine a vertical crop too. Good head on singing, nice perch and great BG. TFS.

dankearl
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Interesting comp for sure, Daniel and the tonsil shot is great, I still think a vertical would look good, although you
would lose the grasses, so I can see why you did the Landscape comp.

Carmelo Cannova
07-13-2012, 07:38 PM
I have never been lucky with these little guys. This kind of shots will boost my perseverance.

Carmelo

annmpacheco
07-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Love this. It is dreamy and in your face along comes the beautiful song, I absolutely can hear it looking at your image.

Robert Holguin
07-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Wonderful shot. I just love the singing pose, excellent perch, and very nice background. I really like the comp.
Very well done.

Shawn Zierman
07-14-2012, 03:22 AM
I like some of the features of the bird shown with the head on view, the crown and lores in particular.
The image features sharp details and nicely diffused light. The bird's pose, and definitely the perch,
suggest that a vertical presentation would have been stronger. I've seen few mullein perches featured
in a horizontal presentation that look good...no exception here imo.

Karl Egressy
07-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Excellent shot, Daniel.
This species responds to the call fairly well.
My experience was that it would show up when you stop playing and would sing a victory song.
My wife interpretation would be;
"Look honey I chased the intruder away"

arash_hazeghi
07-14-2012, 02:49 PM
I like the calling pose and perch. A vert works much better here IMO

Giuseppe Varano
07-15-2012, 04:36 AM
Nice calling pose and amazing background with the short pines that context the habitat.