ISO Speed 100
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection
Color Space Adobe RGB

This dragonfly has newly emerged, i took the image by the side of the pond. It was taken early morning on a cold and very dull day. The colour balance was way out in the raw file, I tried the white dropper, Auto and daylight settings but could not get an accurate value for the greens. I have been having problems with the greens for some time so I took some advice:
I launched into Photoshop and made a Colour Balance layer and using the colour sampler tool I made the correct adjustments after converting to Lab Color and I made the greens the colour they should be according to the Macbeth chart.
I have portrait and landscape versions of this dragonfly, this one is my preference but I will post an alternative later. I appreciate the tail tip is OOF, I adjusted the shooting angle but by the time I got the tail and the head in focus I got a rather unnatural pose.
All C & C welcome.

Markus Jais
07-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Another great one. Wonderful IQ, great BG and very good sharpness. Markus

Daniel Cadieux
07-13-2012, 06:57 PM
The OOF tail does not bother me at all. Love the subdued light, great background. The stalk looks very good, especially the fine lines on it. The comp feels tight top and bottom to me.

Steve Maxson
07-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Hi Jonathan. It looks like your struggles with color balance paid off in the end as this looks very natural! Once again - excellent light, sharpness, and background. The OOF abdomen isn't bothering me as my eye goes right to the head/thorax area. Very nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
07-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Thank you for the C&C everyone, as always I look forward to receiving them.

Jason Stander
07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Just stunning from my side... superb exposure, detail, angle and comp... super image... WD!