PDA

View Full Version : Canola Farm

PhilCook
07-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Old farm property on the route to the Flinders Ranges S.A. The old home is disused, but the crops still cover the hillsides

Nikon D300 + Tamron 28/75 + CPL....36,,, f13, ISO 400, hand held

Robert Amoruso
07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Phil,

The sea of yellow against the blue is quite appealing. The additional of the structure a nice plus.

I suggest cropping the this into a Rule of Thirds with the house at the upper left power point and the horizon along the upper third horizon line to better balance the image's essential elements.

Don Railton
07-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Hi Phil

I like this a lot, for the bold colours and the simplicity...The house is nicely located amongst the colour and is where my eye ends up. I might have tried another shot taken further to the left using the green yellow edge as a lead to the house as an alternative composition..

DON

Andrew Aveley
07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
great colours ad crit on composition. A little 'soft' for me but still a great image.

Markus Jais
07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Wonderful blue and yellow colors with beautiful light. I like the composition.
Agree with Andrew, looks a little soft - maybe this was because of warm air.

Markus

Morkel Erasmus
07-13-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm surprised at the softness at f13 and think that perhaps you just focused on a point too close to the camera and in effect didn't achieve hyperfocal distance.
I love seeing canola fields and every year in autumn the folks living in the Western Cape post the most beautiful scenes of these fields.
I like Robert's crop suggestion and would also suggest looking at adjusting the midground yellows to blues in "Selective Color" so that more detail becomes visible (it's a bit oversaturated IMHO).

PhilCook
07-13-2012, 02:56 AM
I think you may be right about focus, not sure where the focus point was on this particular shot, but looking at the others in the series I put more focus in the foreground flowers so some are sharp...softening off in the distance.

Hilary Hann
07-13-2012, 03:44 AM
I love the disused stone farm houses and barns through the pastoral regions and this one is enhanced by the strong colours of the canola and sky. Personally, I'd crop most of the yellow canola to just below the start of the curve, which would still give you a pano and increase the strength of the curve of the hill. Just another crop suggestion to sit beside Roberts. Nice to see on this rather gloomy day.