PDA

View Full Version : Flinders Ranges - a fleeting moment

Hilary Hann
07-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Drove up to the Flinders Ranges on Sunday and had a a few fleeting moments of co-operative light before the rain storms set in and washed out our Monday's shooting … so we drove home.

A quick trip with a very small window of opportunity, but I quite liked the glow coming from the ranges.

7D; 55mm; ISO200; 1/30 @f14

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Great light and image design here Hilary! Love the use of layers here. Can see this working as a moody B&W too, but the colours are really nice.
I did a "screen crop" to remove the dark band of clouds at the top and like the added simplicity, but it removed some of the drama for me. Both can work though.
:S3:

Jay Gould
07-12-2012, 03:57 AM
HH, I agree with The Man; a pano crop eliminating the dark top is the way I would go.

PhilCook
07-12-2012, 06:28 AM
One of my favorite parts of the world, like the tree in the foreground to anchor the scene well, lovely colors, although most times I've seen the sun light up the ranges they are brilliant red....I tend to agree regarding cropping out the dark band

Hilary Hann
07-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the crop suggestion, will give it a try.

Phil, the light never hit the ranges until about 10 mins later when we had moved. Heavy clouds meant that light was hit and miss so I lived with light on the tree. I have a different view with rich red mountains to pos t later.

Appreciate the comments as always.

Robert Amoruso
07-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Well the light worked especially well here - very dramatic coming from the left and streaming right in the image. Great detail and soft colors makes this very pleasing.

I do not agree with the crop suggestions on the clouds. The bolder color is in stark contrast to the grasses and mountain so sets up a nice tension in the image. If anything, I would have preferred a bit more on the right as it feels truncated to me there.

Don Railton
07-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Beautiful Hilary

The layers of colours all very complimentary and the tree 'anchor' do it for me...the eye just wanders all over this...

DON

Hilary Hann
07-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks Robert and Don. Robert, it is full frame left to right but I did do a series of shots in case I wanted to stitch a pano so I could add a small amount.

Andrew Aveley
07-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi Hillary........, well the words here are failing me a bit. Great simple composition with excellent colours. I to am with Robert here on adding a touch more to the top here to add a 5th dimension. I would even think a Pano with more to the LHS and RHS if it could work would be great ! Really like this one

Hilary Hann
07-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Thank you Andrew, I will see if I can stitch the image with the extra image I took and will repost, hopefully! :S3: