PDA

View Full Version : Proud Razorbill

Rachel Hollander
07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Another image from Machias Seal Island. In mid-June there were not many birds with fish but this razorbill landed on the rock and proceeded to show off his catch to all around. I've done significantly more pp to this image than I normally do (or truthfully am really comfortable with) including extending the canvas at the bottom, cloning out a puffin poking out from behind the razorbill's head and cloning out a couple of dark spots/birds in the bg. I left the partial other razorbill because I felt this one needed an audience. I also know this is not a preferred head angle but wonder what others think given the pose.

Canon 7D
70-200 II @ 168mm
1/8000
f4
ISO 400
EC -.67
I was trying for bif and did not change my settings when this one landed. HH from the blind, levels, curves, sharpened and other stuff as described above in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

laurie golden
07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Rachel,

I love the display and would definately keep the other bird but since you have made lots of changes already I would go one step farther and get rid of the black/white blob on the left.

Richard Stern
07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi Rachel,

I like the overall pose, although for me the head being angled down a bit would look better. Good exposure and contrast, sharpness etc., and I too feel that the partial bird on the left adds to the feel of the image. I agree wit Laurie about the blob on the left.

Richard
Richard

Arthur Morris
07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I like the pose. As for the other razorbill, you needed to be at about 152 mm :). What made you go beyond your comfort zone?

Rachel Hollander
07-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks Laurie, Richard and Artie, much appreciated. Artie - I thought I should have the skills even if I don't use them often so gave them a try.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Sidharth Kodikal
07-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi Rachel, I love the details in the white/dark areas. Looking at the tech one would think the light was very strong, but the image shows no sign of it - great job.
I agree with Laurie about evicting the black/white blob. Very nice image. TFS.

christopher galeski
07-12-2012, 02:30 AM
nice pose,Rachel,nice detail,agree on getting rid of the blob.thanks.

Arthur Morris
07-12-2012, 05:30 AM
Thanks Laurie, Richard and Artie, much appreciated. Artie - I thought I should have the skills even if I don't use them often so gave them a try. Thanks again, Rachel

You are welcome. I agree that folks need to improve their Photoshop skills. As you likely know, I am a huge proponent of image clean-up. Maybe I did not explain myself as well as I could have... You wrote, " I've done significantly more pp to this image than I normally do (or truthfully am really comfortable with)...."

So my question is, if you are"truthfully not comfortable with eliminating BKGR distractions," why did you do so here?

gail bisson
07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Hi Rachel,
I really like this one. It kind of says "Hallelujah-I finally caught a fish!".
Good exposure and I like the bird on the left but would include all of his eye if you have it.
I agree about getting rid of the blob on the left.
Gail

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2012, 06:53 AM
You are welcome. I agree that folks need to improve their Photoshop skills. As you likely know, I am a huge proponent of image clean-up. Maybe I did not explain myself as well as I could have... You wrote, " I've done significantly more pp to this image than I normally do (or truthfully am really comfortable with)...."

So my question is, if you are"truthfully not comfortable with eliminating BKGR distractions," why did you do so here?

Artie - I didn't take a lot of shots of the razorbills on Machias, mostly concentrating on the puffins and a few shots that had bothand even fewer of the common murre (which only made a couple of appearances on the rocks near the blinds). This was by far the most interesting pose from a razorbill so I tried to salvage it and at the same time improve my pp skills. I was mostly referring to the adding canvas, not something I do. This image also had several bg elements that needed removal to salvage the image (one more to go). an occasional specular highlight, ill-placed blade of grass, piece of garbage or rock, I don't mind removing, I think here it was the cumulative effect of having to remove several blobs from the bg and extend the canvas. The litigator in me struggles with image manipulation. We like to be able to use photos as evidence that accurately depicts a scene or an item. The easier it is to manipulate an image and the more accepted it becomes, the less we can rely on photos to accurately depict the scene or item. The photography hobbyist in me understands image manipulation in order to present the most pleasing image but since my photos are mostly for me, I tend not to do a lot. What I do, I disclose. I am unlikely to print this image or use it in a photo book if I choose to do one from my trips to Machias. I posted it here (with full disclosures) because BPN has been and continues to be an invaluable learning tool for me and I thought if the manipulation I did do looked horrible (or wasn't done well) people would tell me.

I hope that answers your question,

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Sidharth, Chris and Gail - thanks for the comments. Gail - this is ff plus the extended canvas so no more of the razorbill on the lhs.

Here's a repost removing the other blob.

Thanks again everyone,

Rachel

Sidharth Kodikal
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Love the repost, Rachel.

Stu Bowie
07-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi Rachel, you have nailed the exposure on the Razorbill's chest, great whites and detail there. Im fine the head tilted back, as the fish is framed against the neck. Well done with your repost.

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks Sidharth and Stuart.

arash_hazeghi
07-13-2012, 11:22 AM
nice display and good exposure plus the sharp details. you handled everything nicely

Arthur Morris
07-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Artie - I didn't take a lot of shots of the razorbills on Machias, mostly concentrating on the puffins and a few shots that had bothand even fewer of the common murre (which only made a couple of appearances on the rocks near the blinds). This was by far the most interesting pose from a razorbill so I tried to salvage it and at the same time improve my pp skills. I was mostly referring to the adding canvas, not something I do. This image also had several bg elements that needed removal to salvage the image (one more to go). an occasional specular highlight, ill-placed blade of grass, piece of garbage or rock, I don't mind removing, I think here it was the cumulative effect of having to remove several blobs from the bg and extend the canvas. The litigator in me struggles with image manipulation. We like to be able to use photos as evidence that accurately depicts a scene or an item. The easier it is to manipulate an image and the more accepted it becomes, the less we can rely on photos to accurately depict the scene or item. The photography hobbyist in me understands image manipulation in order to present the most pleasing image but since my photos are mostly for me, I tend not to do a lot. What I do, I disclose. I am unlikely to print this image or use it in a photo book if I choose to do one from my trips to Machias. I posted it here (with full disclosures) because BPN has been and continues to be an invaluable learning tool for me and I thought if the manipulation I did do looked horrible (or wasn't done well) people would tell me. I hope that answers your question, Rachel

Thanks Rache. It does in part. But beware, you have set foot on the slippery slope. In your own words, you are now an image manipulator! I do not see it like that. From where I sit the original image was of Razorbill displaying while holding a fish. The final image, the repost in Pane #11--much better by the way, also depicts a Razorbill displaying while holding a fish. It is just more pleasing to the eye. We let everyone know what we have done: used the latest technology to create what is to me a better image.

Robert Holguin
07-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Excellent shot. Love the pose, expsoed very well, I really like the other bird looking in, and your last repost is much better.
Well done.