PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars

Desmond Gunatilaka
04-18-2008, 05:26 PM
As a newcomer to bird watching - I am trying to buy a "good" pair of binoculars. I would like a lighweight pair which will be reliable. I don't want to buy the best. My budget is under $800.
The pair I am considering is the Leica Ultravid Compact 10x25.
Anybody with any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ian McHenry
04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi Desmond
To me 10x25 covers too small an area.
I have a reasonably priced pair of 10x50 Bushnells which is fine for most bird watching.
If you are visiting forest areas with lots of birds I would prefer 8X40.More light and not too much mag'n.
Maybe you could have a pair of each !!
Cheers: Ian Mc

Alfred Forns
04-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Agree with Ian Would try the 10X25 before purchasing

The type would depend on how much you will be using Size also makes a difference Will you be using the binoculars without photo gear?

Desmond Gunatilaka
04-19-2008, 11:44 PM
I would have my camera with a long lens with me. That is the reason for a lightweight setup. I would like a pair that could be used in "poor" light like in forests. Unfortunately the stores I go to are so well lit that most look good. That is why i am looking for help from my peers.
Thanks again

Ian McHenry
04-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Maybe you could go to a store on a grey day and ask if you can have a look outside.
I think you'd notice a difference between 8X30s and 8X40s.
Happy hunting : Ian Mc

PS Maybe someone else from San Jose might have a suggestion.

Joerg Rockenberger
04-20-2008, 01:01 AM
A few years old but perhaps still valid...

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Sid Garige
04-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I wanted to buy one and shopped around on internet for best prices.

www.binoculars.com has best prices and collection. They also have reviews from user.

I got a Nikon action 8x40 and Monarch 8x 42. Monarch. works fine for me.

George DeCamp
04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Certainly Leica is an awesome brand and well worth the money, so is Nikon and many others. I wanted a pair for quick scoping aout an area while out with my camera. Something pretty good yet not costing that much since I don't use it all day. I went with Pentax! (Pentax DCF SP 8x43 Binocular)

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/pentax_sp.html

Had them for a while now (7 yrs or so) and last year they were hard to focus, I guess pretty dirty inside. I called Pentax and they told me to send them in which I did. A while later they showed up at my door all fixed like new, no charge! Seems they have a lifetime warranty of some sort which I didn't even know about! :)

I think they were about $550 and work like a charm for what I need. I bring them everywhere and now my wife has a pair as well.

David Kennedy
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
I would recommend the Nikon Monarchs. They probably offer the best bang-for-the-buck that you'll find in that price range. 10x mag is good for hawks, but not much else. For true birding, you only want 8x. The other advantage of the Monarchs is that they are weather sealed. You'd be better off starting with the Monarchs and then, in a few years, you can think about going all-out and getting a pair of Swarovskis!

Mike Tracy
04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Nikon Monarch ATB 10 x 42 here. Best glass for the money that I found. Bought them for my wife so she would have something to do when she tags along. Guess whos bag they stay in now !

Jim Poor
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and go physically try them out first. I went to an Eagle Optics dealer looking to spend a good bit on bins, but none of the higher priced ones felt right. I ended up getting a mid-range set and they are more comfortable.

c.w. moynihan
04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I would recommend the Nikon Monarchs. They probably offer the best bang-for-the-buck that you'll find in that price range. 10x mag is good for hawks, but not much else. For true birding, you only want 8x. The other advantage of the Monarchs is that they are weather sealed. You'd be better off starting with the Monarchs and then, in a few years, you can think about going all-out and getting a pair of Swarovskis!

Best $300.00 I ever spent for Binoch's 8x42 :)

Good reading for decision time:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/gear/binoculars/

reviews:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Dan Brown
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I use Eagle Optics Platinum Class 10 X 42s. For the price (400), they are great for birding. They also focus down to about 5 feet, so you can look at bugs, flowers, etc. Leica is a great optic. however, I would not recommend the 10 X 25. When considering binos for birding, you need to do a little math with the numbers (10 X 25). The 10 is the magnification, the X means "magnification" or "power" and the 25 is the diameter in Milimeters of the front element or glass. What you want to do is divide the MM of the front glass (25) by the magnification (10), this gives you the diameter in MM of what is called the "exit pupil" in this case = 2.5. The exit pupil is the bundle of light rays that leaves the glasses and hit your eyes. For use in the field in low light and for minimizing eye strain, you want the exit pupil to be in the 4.0 to 6.0 range (I've read that the max diameter of this bundle that the human eye can accept is about 7.0). My glasses are 4.2 and I am happy, but I have looked through 5's and up and they are better in low light. The quality of the glass is also a big factor, but you still need that exit pupil to be up there. Lastly, you really need to try the glasses and Eagle Optics (and others I'm sure) will let you return if you are not satisfied.
Good luck and good birding, Dan Brown

Shawn Olesen
04-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Nikon Monarch 8 x42 or 10 x42. Best bang for the buck! No doubt about it.
I have the 8 x42, they are very sharp, weathertight and durable. Save your money and put it towards your camera gear.

Desmond Gunatilaka
04-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks Dan,
You cleared up what all those numbers on binocular descriptions meant.
I will look at 10x42. In my area choices are limited. I went up to San Francisco and checked some out. I am now going to limit myself to spend under $450.
Thanks folks,
I will keep looking.