PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon at Sunset

Connor Stefanison
07-11-2012, 12:13 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7259186412_54e7318316_c.jpg

5D2 | 16mm | Tripod | Wireless remote | BC Interior, Canada

For the past year I've been waiting for a chance to get a wide angle image of a Common Loon on a nest. This past May I was able to find a loon that couldn't care less about my presence, and on top of that i was able to photograph it at sunset! It was an amazing experience, the loon could not have been more tolerant!

Randy Stout
07-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Connor:

Welcome to BPN, a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer.

Unusual image, rarely see wide angles of loons, esp. on the nest. Sharp, well exposed, strong environmental feel.

I have sent a PM along about nest photography.

Look forward to future post.

Cheers

Randy

Lyle Gruby
07-11-2012, 07:29 AM
I think that's an incredible image. Not only sunset, but a beautiful sunset! Very nicely done.

Sidharth Kodikal
07-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Killer stuff, Connor, and welcome aboard.
Brilliantly conceived and executed - it's all come together perfectly here.
Looking forward to more!

Stu Bowie
07-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi Connor, a big welcome to BPN, and enjoy the ride.

I like the wide angle view here, and really like the colours of the sunset. Looking forward to more from you, as well as your participation.

allanrube
07-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Big welcome. Very nice shot but loons get stressed when one get this close to a nest.

Connor Stefanison
07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Big welcome. Very nice shot but loons get stressed when one get this close to a nest.

Thanks Allan! Most Loons would get stressed, but not this one. The loons at this lake are very tame and this one did not mind me being there at all. I took video footage to prove. I"ll be posting it on flickr soon.

gail bisson
07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi Connor,
This is a beautiful photograph but at what cost? I find it hard to believe that the loon was not stressed by the close proximity of your camera, especially if you used flash.
Do you know if eggs hatched successfully? I look forward to seeing the video but I still have great concerns for the loon,
Gail

Connor Stefanison
07-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Hi Connor,
This is a beautiful photograph but at what cost? I find it hard to believe that the loon was not stressed by the close proximity of your camera, especially if you used flash.
Do you know if eggs hatched successfully? I look forward to seeing the video but I still have great concerns for the loon,
Gail

Hi Gail, I understand your concerns. I would say at no cost, because the loon was honestly not stressed. It never abandoned the nest, and would usually not even be pay much attention to me. I would not have taken this image if the bird showed signs of stress. I spend a lot of time with loons each year, so I have gotten to know their behaviour quite well. I wasn't there for when they hatched, but I'm assuming they did. She even laid a second egg in the time that I was there.
If i saw a shot like this from someone else, I too would have concerns because the situation of having a loon this tame seems unrealistic. I dont know why she was so tame. Perhaps she was once rescued and became tame from handling by wildlife rehabilitation?

gail bisson
07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the response Connor.
Am looking forward to more from you!( but maybe not so close:w3)

Gail

Hi Gail, I understand your concerns. I would say at no cost, because the loon was honestly not stressed. It never abandoned the nest, and would usually not even be pay much attention to me. I would not have taken this image if the bird showed signs of stress. I spend a lot of time with loons each year, so I have gotten to know their behaviour quite well. I wasn't there for when they hatched, but I'm assuming they did. She even laid a second egg in the time that I was there.
If i saw a shot like this from someone else, I too would have concerns because the situation of having a loon this tame seems unrealistic. I dont know why she was so tame. Perhaps she was once rescued and became tame from handling by wildlife rehabilitation?

Randy Stout
07-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Connor:

Glad folks have chimed in about their concerns on being this close to a loon nest. I wrote a very long comment that I was going to post with my original post, but since I am so passionate about loons, thought I would cool down a bit before responding.

Nest abandonment is a well documented problem with loons if humans come too close. Is it possible that there is something unique about this loon that allows such closeness? Possible. The fact that both parents brood the eggs, would make it seem to still be risky for the loons well being.

I have spent a little time floating with the loons over the years, but never go close to them on the nest, even with loons that will swim up and look in my boat the rest of the season. Loons reproductive rate is so low that losing a single years hatch is significant.

Please think carefully about this situation.

Respectfully

Randy

Connor Stefanison
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Connor:

Glad folks have chimed in about their concerns on being this close to a loon nest. I wrote a very long comment that I was going to post with my original post, but since I am so passionate about loons, thought I would cool down a bit before responding.

Nest abandonment is a well documented problem with loons if humans come too close. Is it possible that there is something unique about this loon that allows such closeness? Possible. The fact that both parents brood the eggs, would make it seem to still be risky for the loons well being.

I have spent a little time floating with the loons over the years, but never go close to them on the nest, even with loons that will swim up and look in my boat the rest of the season. Loons reproductive rate is so low that losing a single years hatch is significant.

Please think carefully about this situation.

Respectfully

Randy

Thanks for voicing your concerns Randy. About nest abandonment, I dont think she would have because i spent 4.5 days with her (not all day), and of course she was there every day. I also found another tame loon which i got some wides of at one of my other lakes, and her chicks hatched. So overall thats 2/2 that didn't abandon. I"m not sure about how low their reproductive rate is, but I know one loon pair that has had two chicks each year for the past three years. I fully understand the risks of getting images like these and I took all necessary measures to make it as easy as possible on the subject. It isn't something you'd be able to do with every bird, thats for sure. the way I saw it, if the loon wasn't stressed, and my presence caused no harm, i saw no problem in trying to capture a creative image of a loon that as far as i'm concerned had not yet been photographed.

Connor Stefanison
07-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Here is the video http://www.flickr.com/photos/28257299@N05/7554518162/in/photostream

Randy Stout
07-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Connor:

I looked at the video, thanks for the link.

Although quite alert, the adult didn't seem particularly stressed. Did the male swap with her? Usually they do shifts.

I still have concerns about being so close to the nest, but I appreciate the excitement getting that unique shot .

Part of my concern is that someone else will try to recreate this same shot, with a typical skittish loon, and the eggs will be abandoned. There is no question that nest abandonment happens.

I would appreciate it if you always put a little note with the photo so people realize that this simply can't be recreated under normal circumstances.

To get two eggs hatched three years in a row from the same pair is quite good. Even established pairs often aren't successful each year, with stated success rates around 75% of the time.

Perhaps the raccoon population is lower there, as they are the main nest predators in many areas.

Cheers

Randy

Connor Stefanison
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
thanks a lot for the info randy, i'll be sure to disclose more info next time. As far as predation goes, there aren't really any racoons in the BC interior, but i guess the coyotes could get them. The loons will always try to nest on islands if they can or in marshes where predators would have to swim to get them. i know that last year at one of the lakes i go to the water level was so high that the islands were all flooded and the loons had to nest next to shore. Unfortunately during my trip a mink swam over and destroyed the nest.
thanks,
connor

Karl Egressy
07-12-2012, 02:00 PM
I have seen this picture before but every time I see it it gives me a sense of beuty ann appreciation of wilderness.
Great first post, Connor.