PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Turtle

Jeff Sorbie
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
This turtle appears to be laying eggs maybe??? Taken @ Mud Lake (on the ridge) in Ottawa, Ontario.

Nikon D300s + Sigma 150-500mm

1/400, f8, ISO800 @ 350mm

Andrew Merwin
07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
It looks like a painted turtle. It could be a cooter turtle, but the flattened carapace & red stripes on the fore legs & the red markings on the edge of the shell strongly suggest that it is a painted turtle. Do you know what color the plastron is? If it is red or yellow with a strong pattern, then she is a painted turtle. I hope this helps.

Steve Maxson
07-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi Jeff. Yup, this turtle is laying eggs - which will more than likely become food for skunks or raccoons before the night is out - as that is what seems to happen to most freshwater turtle eggs. Andrew is correct in calling this a painted turtle and based on the geographic location, as well as the patterning of the scutes on its back, it is almost certainly the Midland Painted Turtle subspecies (Chrysemys picta marginata). (Note that my reference book dates to 1991 so the taxonomic nomenclature may have changed since then.) Nice comp and good sharpness. The turtle is nicely separated from the OOF background. Your image would be even stronger without the OOF plant in the foreground. You might have been able to remove it in the field though you would have run the risk of disturbing the turtle. Overall, this is well done!

Jeff Sorbie
07-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks Andrew & Steve. I will check this spot out next time I get a chance.

Daniel Cadieux
07-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Lots of these at Petrie Island too, and have you seen the huge Snapping Turtles at Mud Lake? I'm sure we'll find lots of dug up nests...

Very nice image. Low angle and yellow flowers add some interest.

Jeff Sorbie
07-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks Daniel. I have not seen any snappers yet this year...