PDA

View Full Version : Common darter (teneral)

Jonathan Ashton
07-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Tripod mongoose head
Camera Model Canon EOS 50D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/125
Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Focal Length 180.0mm
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Daylight
AF Mode AI Servo AF
Color Space Adobe RGB

This was the day before my little disaster with the camera, by the way it seems to be working ok. Now this could and should have been the shot for which I have been waiting several years i.e. just exiting the exuvia. I had been on Skype to my pal updating him and saying I must nip down to the pond to see what was going on, instead I forgot and had a coffee. When I got to the pond it had emerged fully but it's wings had not inflated fully nor had it's abdomen. I don't know why this could be other than the weather is relatively cold and wet, maybe the blood vessels did not dilate adequately? Has anyone any idea becasue this is the second one I have had.
All comments welcome.

EzhilSuresh
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Jon,
Very well captured. I like the composition and colours. (Given our miserable weather in the last few days/weeks very nice to see you venturing out to shoot something different than birds)

Markus Jais
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Wonderful. Killer BG, fantastic IQ, great sharpness. I only with the dragonfly were a little higher up on the stem, but this is not really important.

Markus

Steve Maxson
07-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Hi Jonathan. Very nice job on all the technical aspects - as usual! I'm not sure what has caused this deformity. I live next to a lake where multiple species of dragonflies emerge each year. It is not uncommon to find individuals with deformed wings (perhaps up to 5-10% of those emerging). The nymphs often climb up on tall grass stems (near other grass stems) to emerge. If it happens to be windy that day, the delicate growing wings can get bumped against plant stems which may damage them so they never fully develop. I don't know if it's the same where you live and of course, there could be other causes as well.

Jason Stander
07-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Great shot Jonathan... love the comp and bg... superb details and exposures... the head looks slightly soft... otherwise overall great work... VWD!