PDA

View Full Version : Common darter (teneral)

Jonathan Ashton
07-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Tripod mongoose head
Camera Model Canon EOS 7D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2/3 (not intentional I was in a rush and didn't check the settings properly)
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Image Quality RAW
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection
Color Space Adobe RGB

There's a story to this one! I had been complaining to my friend about the persistent rain and that I must nip down to the garden pond to see if anything was happening. I went outside to find out that I had left my 50D and macro lens outside all night (yes it rained). It seemed to be working OK but I sense something was beginning to fog. I immediately turned the camera off and rushed inside with it to exchange it for my 7D. I slipped on the wet decking boards and ricked my already sore back and just to finish things off nicely I banged the camera and dropped it in the garden soil. Currently the camera is in the oven on defrost (doesn't get hot) hopefully drying out - I couldn't find the silica gel and I have bags of it somewhere! The good news is I managed to get a shot or two before the tenerals flew off.
All C & C welcome.
All C & C welcome.

Markus Jais
07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Hope your camera recovers! Great shot with wonderful colors, soft light and great BG. The dragonfly body is completely sharp - great! Did you take this hand held or with a tripod? Markus

Jonathan Ashton
07-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks Markus, I always use a tripod unless absolutely impracticable. I try when possible to use mirror lock up and a cable release, if I can't e.g. intermittent breeze, then I use high speed drive and shoot in bursts of 2-3 frames hoping that one somewhere will be sharp.

Jason Stander
07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi Jonathan:wave:... firstly what an effort for the shot... hope the camera's are OK... secondly beautiful capture... great exposure, detail, angle and bg... it seems though that the focus is on the body and the head is lightly soft... otherwise VVWD!:w3

Markus Jais
07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
@Jonathan: Thanks for the information about technique: I do it exactly the same way.

Markus

Steve Maxson
07-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi Jonathan. Interesting story - it sounds like you're trying to make macro photography into an all-weather contact sport. :S3: I hope you and your camera survived! Good overall sharpness and I like the even lighting. The background looks totally clean!:S3: I like the shiny reflection on the wing, but would wish it was in a different location where it didn't block our view of part of the head and foreleg. Nevertheless, this is another strong image!