PDA

View Full Version : Walrus portrait

Andreas Liedmann
07-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Photographed this friendly and curious walrus on a trip to Svalbard .This walrus was checking out the group of photographers ,who were lined up along the pebbly beach.He or she was coming and going to look for each and every photographer ,was my expression by that time.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II
EF 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
Tripod
F9 / 1/500sec / ISO 200
80 % crop of FF
Processed in RPP and PS

Hope you like it, C&C as walkways welcome.

Cheers Andreas

PhilCook
07-09-2012, 04:36 AM
What an amazing opportunity ! The perfect head angle I would say, interesting detail, particularly the stains or lines on the tusks and an obvious wound

Steve Kaluski
07-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Hi Andreas, cool image, know exactly where you were, similar images too. Good illustration of the tusks & bristles. Wonder if the eye has been worked on?

I think we have been following in each others footsteps. :w3

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
07-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Hey Steve,
worked on the hole image :eek3: LOL.
Is it too strong on the eye from your POV.
Followed locations or processing :w3.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Hi Andreas, for me the eye just pops too much, the red I think should be darker rather than 'blood red', but just my take. Also the overall lighting is too consistent I think, I would assume under the chin and down would be slightly more 'in shadow'? Without know the original and what you have done, I might even question the lower right area, both the sea and back of the walrus, as it it vignettes off in contrast, difficult to explain. In simple terms the sea on the LHS has a nice balance and contrast, but as it moves to the right it soften off???? Not sure how this translate for you. Will send you something to ID the areas I mean, but it's probably just me. :bg3:

FYI I'm basing my comment on this, as I have a true black through to a white.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/87859-Gray-scale-pattern-for-checking-color-balance

Andreas Liedmann
07-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Hi Steve,
i think i know what you mean.
The Original is quite flat in contrast due to light situation and camera settings.So did not lighten it.I think the differences in contrast in the sections you pointed out,are coming from the use of lum masks on the walrus itself and the BG.
In simple terms you think i should give it more punch by adding black and maybe reduce the mask opacity on BG and subject to have a more even stronger contrast all over the image ?

Cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
07-09-2012, 07:56 AM
A rework ,followed Steve`s points. WDYT ?

Steve Kaluski
07-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi Andreas, as you know, adding black is never ideal unless you are selective, because of choking any shadow areas. In addition I do worry about using lumo only because how it can affect an image, not always for the right reasons, so always think when you apply any of those masking formulas, however this is just me thinking out loud :S3:

What I might try is using a green channel B/W layer and go Multiply not Overlay to add some punch to the sea, reduce the yellow along the back and a % brush to reveal along the side of the walrus. I think the colour & opacity colouring in the water is the reflection.

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I liked the OP with the reddish eye quite a lot, didn't look unnatural to me though I have never seen a Walrus before :e3.
A great portrait overall. Repost a tad better, subtle differences, but better.
Steve's suggestions for the ocean might take it up another notch!

Rachel Hollander
07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi Andreas - I prefer the repost. Good suggestions by Steve. Nice comp, detail, sharpness and pose. Svalbard is on my list, hopefully in the next couple of years.

TFS,
Rachel

RakeshDhareshwar
07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Prefer the repost ! Looks more natural ! The compo is brilliant !!

Vivaldo Damilano
07-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Super compo and detail. I do like the repost, nicely done Andreas.

Simon Bennett
07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Impressive animal well captured.

Ken Watkins
07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Andreas,

Great capture of this mighty strange creature, I think that either post is highly acceptable.

Shreyas Mantri
07-16-2012, 09:25 PM
+1 on the repost. Nice details on the whiskers and the ivory!