PDA

View Full Version : Spring Beauty

Ed Vatza
04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes it is! And that's its name to boot. No longer is this Spring Beauty unidentified. I finally was able to id it in my field guide.

I found more of these Beauties this morning and was able to photograph them under some varying light conditions using my Rebel XT, Sigma 150mm Macro lens and 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox. And I tried to pay special attention to the backgrounds when I could.

1/800 sec at f/11; ISO 800; EC = 0; FE= -2

John Cooper
04-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Very pretty flower Ed and I like your composition. Great BG that probably would have tolerated a smaller aperature for greater DOF, but still an attractive image!

Ed Vatza
04-19-2008, 03:44 AM
I appreciate the feedback, John. I was/am curious as to how other feel about this composition. As I mention in my original post, I had the opportunity to photograph these flowers under varying light conditions ranging from late morning sun to shade; with and without fill flash and so on. This particualar image was with pretty direct front light. Personally, I liked the "metallic" look to the flowers as something different. But I wondered what other might think about it.

By the way, here is a similar image made at f/16. I just liked the f/11 a little better.

Arthur Morris
04-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I like the light and the BKGR better in the ORIG post. Both are too tight below. EXP control much better in the ORIG. There are dust spots in the top portions of each...

Ed Vatza
04-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks Artie. Always a pleasure to get critiqued by you. I agree that the first image is better which is why I went with the F/11 over the f/16. Otherwise, I guess its time for a little sensor cleaning!

Mike Moats
04-20-2008, 06:54 PM
He Ed, nice looking flower, and good BG.