PDA

View Full Version : Another stormwater cedar waxwing at iso1600 for the fine folks...

Jack Breakfast
07-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Ah friends, I posted one of these fellows quite recently...here is another look at a c. waxwing from the same flock on the same fine morning...taken the other day at 6:45 am with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm, iso1600, 1/200, f5.6...
Will be delighted to hear from you, as always...many thanks for your help in the past and future!

laurie golden
07-08-2012, 10:13 PM
It's all a matter of personal preference and I am glad that we all have different ideas but I like the first one better. Maybe it is the red and yellow feathers on the other that are more prominent than this one, maybe the lighter background. But, both are lovely and I do like the perch.

Jeff Dyck
07-09-2012, 12:24 AM
A beautiful bird Jack - nice to see the dorsal view and those "sealing wax" feathers. The bird looks well exposed and the sharpness is good - it's definitely hard to get feather detail from that silky waxwing plumage. I don't care for the perch at all - hand-of-man aside, it is just too dominant in the image. I do wish the waxwing had given you an over-the-shoulder look for a better head angle.

Jack Breakfast
07-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Oh yes, of course and always: one man's meat is another man's poison! I went out of my way to photograph the birds as they very briefly paused on this perch because I loved the perch so...its thick steeliness and the complimentary colors of bird and perch. Many thanks for the comments, folks...
Laurie: I agree with you, I like that first one better as well. What appeals to me here is the (melo)dramatic mood and also the way the reds and tail-yellows pop!

Richard Mc Donald
07-09-2012, 08:09 AM
As an Australian I've taken a liking to these Wax wings over the years, they just look so snazzy. Am I seeing some noise on the background?

Apart from that I agree with Jeff about the perch, maybe lower in the shot? Well captured though Jack.

Richard

Daniel Cadieux
07-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I prefer the BG here, but I really would have preferred a better head angle (I know they do not always cooperate!!). I have to admit I'm not super fond of the perch, but if you like it that is what matters most!:S3:

Jack Breakfast
07-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks Dan the Man! Forgive my sudden burst of familiarity! I shall not let head angles become the bane of my birdy existence but in this particular case I am inclined to agree with you. Not regarding the perch, however. :wave: