View Full Version : Northern Shrike

Alan Murphy
07-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Northern Shrike

Nome, Alaska

D4, 600, ISO 1000, f8, 1/640

arash_hazeghi
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I love the pose and excellent head angle, top notch details and a nice perch. I have mixed feelings about the BG tho

Karl Egressy
07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
This is not your usual style but I like it to a certain degree.
I have to admit, I like your setup images done to perfection much better.

Robert Holguin
07-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Excellent shot. Superb details, great pose, love the bloody beak, and great light.
Well done.

PhilCook
07-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I think the bird is great, but a lot going on in this image with I feel more foliage than necessary and vivid color on the right, though it certainly is eye catching. I think this could also work well, or better with a vertical crop to remove all the branches and retain only the perching twigs and in doing so retaining just the subtle background tones on the right

Jack Breakfast
07-08-2012, 10:42 PM
How I love the natural background! Just terrific! The bird looks wonderful too. The northern shrike is one of my favorites and you did such a great job here. I would love to see more of your bird shots with backgrounds like this!

dankearl
07-08-2012, 11:23 PM
I like this a lot. i think the varied BG is cool although if it were reversed, it would be even better.
Nice habitat and the bird and prey look great.

Jeff Dyck
07-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Another top notch, technically perfect image Alan. I love the perch with those little explosions of foliage and the pose is great, but I too have mixed feelings about the background - when I look at the image my eyes immediately go to the vivid background on the left rather than the bird...

christopher galeski
07-09-2012, 01:19 AM
nice image,like the BG,like the bird with its food in its beak,nice detail,not so keen on all the branches on the left.thanks.

Frank Schauf
07-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed.

Michael Rominger Jr
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Beautiful image Alan! I personally like the comp. Exposure and detail is wonderful. The pose and prey is great. The only thing I may prefer different would be to have the BG flipped left to right. I think that way it may distract less from the bird itself and make it stand out just that touch more. I would love to have this shot though! Thanks for sharing!