PDA

View Full Version : First shot at insects

Mike Delgado
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
First shot at insects. Any comments or critique would be helpfull.

Steve Maxson
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi Mike and welcome to the Macro forum. Please post your shooting specs and whether flash was used - this will allow us to give you more informed comments on your image. :S3:

Patrick Sparkman
07-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Without knowing the shooting specs, I can say that this is a fine image with good sharpness, exposure, and color. I like the salmon color in the still forming wings as well as the pose and action eating the leaf. I would probably crop a little tighter on the bottom and right to get a more rectangular crop, as well as make your watermark a little smaller (man you can't miss that one :tinysmile_shy_t:)

If you are not against such things, I would probably remove the OOF leaf above the antenna and the small one poking out the middle LH side.

PhilCook
07-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Well if this is your first shot at insects I think we could expect some even more outstanding shots in the near future.

I also thin a bit more crop off the bottom would improve slightly, but this is quite stunning with color, sharpness and light, and a rather unique eating posture captured

Jonathan Ashton
07-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Excellent exposure great colours and a good pose, DOF equally good. I suspect you used flash, this may have been necessary due to subdued lighting but whenever possible I would avoid flash on chitinous surfaces as it almost invariably produces the "flashed" look. It may be possible to reduce the highlights a tad and thus improve presentation further. Sometimes a polarising filter helps minimise glare, I now leave a polariser on my macro lens permanently, Hoya make one for digital cameras and the light loss isn't too bad.

LindaHarden
07-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I like how this photo shows an activity and that adds interest to the photo.... as well as the pose of the grasshopper. Jonathan's advice about filters is interesting and something I may look into for my own efforts.