PDA

View Full Version : White Rhino with guests

Andreas Liedmann
07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi all,
just a new post of White Rhino bull taken in Hluhluwe in SA.Had a lot of sightings of rhino,most of you locals in SA will think it is normal,thats what the park is famous for.I personally never have seen that many rhino in 10 days before and after that trip to that park.
Hope you like it.

Canon EOS 1D II
EF 100 -400 at 250 mm
beanbag

F 5,0/ 1/1250sec / ISO 400
Processed in DPP and PS , i was thinking removing the grass blades but i left them in place ,they are there when i took the image and they are not that much distracting.Second the comp,i wanted to go tighter on RHS , but i wanted to keep the third bird as well!

C&C most welcome
Cheers Andeas

Rachel Hollander
07-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Andreas - nice pose, details and I like the vertical comp. Not sure what the black is to the left of the nose but you might consider cloning it out if it doesn't violate your ethics. Oxpeckers add to it.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I think your choice of crops works well here, Andreas, and you handled the highlights well. The Oxpeckers add a lot, and I'm glad you decided to keep the one on the right. You have amazing details in this captures, and I love the hairs on the edges of the ears. The blades of grass don't detract for me. In fact, I feel they add to the environmental feel. I didn't notice the black object until Rachel mentioned it in her post. That's a personal choice.

Markus Jais
07-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Great shot. I like the tight composition, the light and colors and the birds on the rhino. And good to read that there are still many of them in that place. Saw them in Kruger in January where poaching is a serious problem.

Markus

Mark Wiseman
07-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi Andreas,
A wonderful image with good detail. I like the composition and the perspective. Maybe if you have it, a little bit more room at the bottom. Considering what situation South African rhino's are in at the moment, a rather precious image.
TFS and best wishes,
Mark

Steve Kaluski
07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Andreas, I like the perspective and look to camera, however the inclusion of the OP's just takes it up a gear. Agree on your last sentence in the intro, but purely as a 'cosmetic' approach, I would agree with Rachel about the darker mark, plus I would be tempted to blend the bright green stem of grass bottom LH corner if it were me. Processing looks good, likewise the sharpening too. :bg3:

Still prefer the 1D MKII appose to the IIn :w3

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Lovely clarity, detail and angle here Andreas. Was he standing on an elevated mound next to the vehicle?
I like the comp as is with the birds placed where they are.

Andreas Liedmann
07-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Hi and thank you to all you commenters ,appreciate your statements.
Rachel and Steve - the rock is not that much distracting from my POV may be for a important shot for printing i would think about to remove it ??!!
Morkel - yes the rhino was standing on a bank on the side of the road where i was parked.

Cheers Andreas

dankearl
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Really nice, I agree about the rock, but the photo is sharp as can be, great perspective, well done.

Ken Watkins
07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Andreas,

Never as yet been to Hluhluwe, but it is of course the area where the Rhino was saved by South Africa. Nice image