PDA

View Full Version : Sun Dogs

dankearl
07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Sunset on the Oregon coast.

1/80, f16, 14mm (Nikkor 10-24mm lens), CP used, iso100, Nikon D7000, Tripod

DSC_9767BP.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115198&stc=1&d=1341535891)

Don Railton
07-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi Dan

Beautiful cloud captured here. The image has a nice tranquil feel about it. I really love this time of the evening.... The sea has a blur or foggy look either side of the sun ray and I can see a few dust bunnies on the RHS. I am also undecided if I want to see a bit of beach or not... I think maybe not but I would then crop out the very lowest wave as it is about to break and it suggests the beach to me which I can't see...

DON

Morkel Erasmus
07-11-2012, 04:09 AM
good critique by Don here, Dan...
I like the inclusion of the sundogs, but wish there was a starburst on the sun (f22 would've been better for this)
I too want a slight crop off the bottom...blending exposures would have worked nicely to deal with some of the brightest highlights...

Robert Amoruso
07-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Dan,

I understand the reason for putting the sun in the center (the sundogs), but find the wide-view top and bottom makes the image very static. I tried a crop on top (just above the right side of the top horizontal/diagonal cloud) and bottom (just above the wave uppermost wave) and find the pano to be much more dramatic - drawing more attention to the center of interest in the image.