PDA

View Full Version : A varied diet

Grace Scalzo
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
From our favorite beach (Nickerson) last pm. I had zeroed in on this chick and observed the parents bringing him or her moths. I've never seen them getting fed anything but fish. Was thrilled when a feeding occured during a brief moment of good light when the sun broke through the clouds. I purposefully shot this tight as there was clutter all around and I wanted the delivery to be highlighted as well as the moth.

Thanks, as always, for looking at my images.

1/500, f 5.6, ISO800,Lowered tripod
Canon 1Dmk4, 500f4 + 1.4tc

gail bisson
07-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Holy cow Grace,
This is wonderful. The light, the visible eyes on both birds, the angle, the alighting feet of parent and the moth all make this a great shot.
My only minor nit is the green blade of grass that is so close the the chicks' beak and head. Easily removed if you are so inclined. I don't mind the little twig that runs from the chicks chest to the parent but if your finger is on the clone tool I would probably erase it as well but these are minor nits and I love the shot as is,
Gail

Rachel Hollander
07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Grace - great action and timing. I think the choice of comp was a good one and does accentuate the chick with open mouth. I might though crop a bit from the lhs to remove the brighter spot on the adult and make the top lc smoother. Nice detail, particularly on the chick. Congrats on another very fine image.

TFS,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
07-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi Grace, a well thoughtout comp and capture, and just love your low angle in this. Actually, pretty good timing too, to get the chick with the open beak, and parent coming in close to feed. Good DOF, and you have brought out the detail on the chick nicely. Congrats on a fine image.

Melissa Groo
07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
What a super image, Grace. So nice to see that moth, how rare! And I like the tight frame, really does put attention on the behavior. Excellent techs as usual. Fantastic job. Hoping to get to Nickerson at end of summer.

PhilCook
07-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Nice light and well timed and love the pleading chick, a nice natural composition, I do find the green plants catch my eye before the birds do, but they do look good. Cloning out the grass above the beak and protruding from the chest would be a nice touch, but overall very pleasing image

Marina Scarr
07-04-2012, 04:25 PM
You absolutely nailed this one, Grace, and I would not touch a thing. I love the fanned tail and all that action & behavior in the frame!!! There is something to see in every part of the frame. It's almost overwhelming (in a good way). I was surprised to see the little one being fed a moth. I was obviously under the mistaken impression that terns only fed on fish. If I were you, I would enter this capture in a few contests.

How much of a crop is this image, Grace?

John Ippolito
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Beautiful moment captured, tight comp works well, nicely exposed. Lovely work, Grace!

jack williamson
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Spectacular image Grace! Perfect timing on the parent arriving and the excited chick is very sharp. Love the green vegetation and the BG.

Jack

Grace Scalzo
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Thank you so much everyone. To answer a couple of questions and respond to your suggestions. Gail, I did consider the effect of those grasses. I hoped that they would help to focus the viewer's eye on the line between the chick and the parent. I do see your point. Rachael, I hate to crop out any of the parent's tail, which would happen if I crop from the left. But to be honest, I did not even notice that bright spot and it needs toned down, which I will do. Thanks for the catch. Marina, I trimmed from the top, left, and right, probably 75-80% remains. Thanks again.

christopher galeski
07-05-2012, 02:32 AM
its all been said,a beautiful image,well done.

Neil Nourse
07-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Grace what a great shot.
I was down at Nickerson last year with Artie and Denise for a great time. I need to get back down there soon....

Bill Dix
07-05-2012, 01:07 PM
What a terrific capture, Grace! Timing is everything. Great head angle, flight position on mom, and great open beak on the youngster. Comp works nicely for me. Gail's cloning suggestions might be worth considering, but a fine image just as posted. Congrats.