Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal Length 340.0mm
Image Quality RAW
White Balance Mode Daylight
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection
Picture Style Standard
Color Space Adobe RGB

I had been on this trip with the intention of getting some shots of stoats but they were not to be seen. As I was going back to the car I saw these bee orchids, I would have preferred to use my macro lens but I only had the zoom on me at that time. I applied a little brushing here and there to tidy up the foreground.

All C & C welcome

Steve Maxson
07-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi Jonathan. Cool looking flowers - I know that some orchids mimic female bees and are pollinated when male bees are tricked into trying to mate with them. Do you know whether that is the case with this orchid? Good sharpness and I like the way your subject stands out from the background, and the off-center comp. As a biologist, I also like how this shows that the flowers bloom in sequence starting at the bottom - so the lowest flower is past its prime and the top flowers are still in bud. To my eye, the image looks like it may have a slight yellowish cast - you might try adding some blue to see if that is an improvement. :S3: This is very nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
07-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi Steve - thanks for the comments and tips I will try the blue, I am grateful to you because I can never remember what to add as opposed to what to take out.
Regards the bee business - you are absolutely right!