PDA

View Full Version : Please Help to Save an important lake for birds in Portugal

Humberto Ramos
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Please help to save Salgados lake in Portugal, a unique internationally recognized birding sanctuary, from being destroyed!

Salgados is a unique habitat for birds and vital for the enjoyment of future generations.
Right now the Portuguese Government has just given the go-ahead for the majority of the area, 359 hectares, (887 acres), to be “developed”. By developed they mean “to be concreted over” and thus lost to the wildlife that finds it vital now and also lost for the enjoyment of future generations. Any development near this important area will have a hugely detrimental impact on the wildlife that uses it.It will never come back; it’ll be gone for ever.

When will Man realize that he is not the only animal on the planet?

The Algarve does not need more hotels, golf courses or holiday accommodation – all of which stand now at 55% occupancy. What it DOES need is an appreciation of its unique habitats and the wildlife that depends upon them.
Please help us get the signatures that we need for this matter to be raised in Parliament.
We need your signature on the petition to send to the Portuguese Minister to stop this destruction – you’re our only hope!
As Chief Seattle said, “Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money”.
Please share this petition on your Facebook and Twitter accounts!

Petition Here (http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Save_Salgados_a_unique_internationally_recognized_ birding_sanctuary_from_being_destroyed/?tta)

adrian dancy
07-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Signed....I have visited this lake. It is just too important to concrete over.

Chris Martinez
07-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Signed. I hope it helps :S3:

adrian dancy
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I hope more people will take the very little trouble it takes to sign this petition. I know some folk don't think that signing petitions make much difference but I can assure you that when a petition is not signed then the proposed urban development will go ahead and by signing at least there is a chance it won't go ahead. The last two petitions I signed had a very positive effect.

I visited this site in the Algarve in Portugal and the lake and its surrounds has great biodiversity and provided me with some of the best birding I have enjoyed ever. It is a wonderful place and most certainly deserves to be saved. Come on folks...you can make a difference!

Adrian

gail bisson
07-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Signed.

John Chardine
07-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Me too.

fabiobernardino
07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Signed and shared on facebook.
There is a similar situation going on in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Didier Van de Rostijne
07-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Signed !

Robert Holguin
07-07-2012, 10:43 PM
signed. Hopefully everything turns out for the better.

Sidharth Kodikal
07-09-2012, 10:58 AM
signed.

PhilCook
07-09-2012, 04:23 PM
signed......similar problems in Australia as well with our world heritage 90 mile waterway called the Coorong

Humberto Ramos
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
signed......similar problems in Australia as well with our world heritage 90 mile waterway called the Coorong

The birds don't vote, and politicians don't give a damm to environment, they think wrongly that wildlife does't make money...they are wrong, Africa is an example...

Andrew Merwin
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Signed.

annmpacheco
07-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Signed and proud to be Portuguese. Wish I was there!